Hungry Bob - An arcade about a hungry cat

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
_JM_
Prole

Hungry Bob - An arcade about a hungry cat

Post by _JM_ »

This is my new game made with Löve!

You can play the Web version on my itch page.

hb_v3.gif
hb_v3.gif (2.99 MiB) Viewed 1045 times

Some Screenshots:

img_1714762102.png
img_1714762102.png (40.83 KiB) Viewed 1045 times
img_1714761906.png
img_1714761906.png (35.13 KiB) Viewed 1045 times
img_1714761747.png
img_1714761747.png (47.93 KiB) Viewed 1045 times
_JM_
Prole

Re: Hungry Bob - An arcade about a hungry cat

Post by _JM_ »

Update version 1.2.1:
  • Fix mobile support on web;
  • Minor bugs fixes.

Also, I have attached a Windows version with an online leaderboard.
Attachments
Hungry Bob-win32.zip
(11.12 MiB) Downloaded 15 times
knorke
Party member

Post by knorke »

I played the web version with Firefox on Linux Mint.
In the menus, clicking buttons via mouse does not work.
It does not click the button that the mouse is placed on but instead it clicks the button that is currently highlighted by keyboard. (In other words: Mouseclick behaves like pressing space and mouse position is ignored)
When switching to fullscreen, the keyboard stops responding (all keys)
Mouseclick still works.

Nice graphics and it was fun to play a few rounds.
To be honest, in the first moment the movement was a bit meh, it felt bit strange.
Maybe it is the slow floaty walking speed with acceleration combined with fast vertical jump speed.
But I think that is just me. :P I have the same problem with some old fighting games.
On second play it was actually okay and fits the game. Overall very polished!
_JM_
Prole

Post by _JM_ »

Hi knorke, thanks for the detailed feedback. Let me explain some of your points.
knorke wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 11:21 pm I played the web version with Firefox on Linux Mint.
In the menus, clicking buttons via mouse does not work.
It does not click the button that the mouse is placed on but instead it clicks the button that is currently highlighted by keyboard. (In other words: Mouseclick behaves like pressing space and mouse position is ignored)
That's how it was supposed to work! The reason was that the game supports mouse and touch (using a virtual gamepad) at the same time and it become a bit complicated to program each one without causing problem to the other. In a future update, I will fix this issue and make the menus work the right way (verifying the mouse position to check the current active button).
knorke wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 11:21 pm When switching to fullscreen, the keyboard stops responding (all keys)
Mouseclick still works.
Sorry, I cannot reproduce the problem (used Chrome and Edge and the keyboard worked perfectly for me)...
Could you verify if pressing Alt + Enter instead of clicking the full screen button resolves the problem? I believe this is an love.js issue considering it is not entirely stable...
knorke wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 11:21 pm To be honest, in the first moment the movement was a bit meh, it felt bit strange.
Maybe it is the slow floaty walking speed with acceleration combined with fast vertical jump speed.
But I think that is just me. :P I have the same problem with some old fighting games.
On second play it was actually okay and fits the game.
You're not the first to think the movement a bit strange but after agreed that it fits the gameplay. I think the reason is that the player is expecting a movement similar to traditional platform games and instead is presented with a chubby and heavy character :? ...

Anyway, thanks for play!
Last edited by _JM_ on Thu May 09, 2024 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knorke
Party member

Post by knorke »

_JM_ wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:04 pm
knorke wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 11:21 pm When switching to fullscreen, the keyboard stops responding (all keys)
Mouseclick still works.
Sorry, I cannot reproduce the problem (used Chrome and Edge and the keyboard worked perfectly for me)...
Could you verify if pressing Alt + Enter instead of clicking the full screen button resolves the problem? I believe this is an love.js issue considering it is not entirely stable...
Ah yes, the keyboard continues to work when using Alt+Enter to switch to fullscreen. Good to know. ;)

I have the same problem with this game viewtopic.php?t=95661 and my own game when I pack it with love.js.
I did not test with other browser beside Firefox on Mint Linux recently.