WRATH (Zombie Survival)

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
qubodup
Inner party member

Re: [7 Deadly Sins] Wrath (Zombie Survival)

Post by qubodup »

Great show! Sounds are really cool.

You definitely should display the controls in-game though. I figured 'r' only out because I play shooters. Don't know how to weapon-switch.

For me, it is *very* unintuitive to be walking in the direction of my mouse. Instead I would prefer to move in the direction of the keys a=west d=east w=north s=south.

PS: Sometimes it segfaults. I don't know why?
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
Kaze
Party member

Post by Kaze »

qubodup wrote:For me, it is *very* unintuitive to be walking in the direction of my mouse. Instead I would prefer to move in the direction of the keys a=west d=east w=north s=south.
I must agree, it's rather annoying that the mouse changes the direction you move; I find myself moving directly towards the zombies by accident :cry: .

EDIT~ Can you make the zombies move around more? (Instead of directly towards you)
Kuromeku
Party member

Post by Kuromeku »

Hmm, that's half the fun of it though.

Could you give me more detail on how you'd like it?

Also, I'm changing the movement system to how you suggested.
Voker57
Prole

Post by Voker57 »

controls and gun placement suck, but game is great and concept. With better graphics and more time to prepare it would kick ass
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Control for changing weapons is default FPS-control, mouse-up and mouse-down (however usually it 'rotates', mouse-down past the last -> first)
WASD...
R=reload
well.. that's everything I needed

PS it took me a few minutes before figuring out that the boxes the zombies are pushing are pickups.
Kuromeku
Party member

Post by Kuromeku »

Voker57 wrote:controls and gun placement suck, but game is great and concept. With better graphics and more time to prepare it would kick ass

Um, thanks.
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

Kudomiku wrote:Hmm, that's half the fun of it though.
You mean the movement? Maybe. It's up to you to decide. I can only say that mastering these movement controls has a bigger learning curve than the north-west-east-south system (as I call it). This is true for me, and maybe others. Perhaps it's worth to have the learning curve, perhaps it is fun to have the controls this way.

Solution: Implement both, allow switching. Or simply use <- ^ v -> for one and aswd for the other.

When I suggested to change it, I was thinking of an article by Jason Rohrer, who said that some games are only hard because of their controls.
I constructed a system in which time only passes when you are moving or shooting. [...] For this twist in particular, it was shocking to observe its effect on game difficulty. Enemy-filled areas that were once nearly impossible to navigate became easy when you were given a chance to think and plan.

This makes me wonder about game difficulty generally. How many games are difficult only because of their controls and their interfaces?
In his case, however, the game becomes totally different. In the case of Wrath, the game plays the same, but the controls are different.

I can't say for sure if it's better for the game to have the system that I like, but I know that I find it less frustrating.

Idea: zombies that wander around aimlessly. (The really stupid ones...)

PS:
Voker57 wrote:controls and gun placement suck, but game is great and concept. With better graphics and more time to prepare it would kick ass
Your avatar sucks, but you are straightforward in a non-offensive way, which is cool. :D
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
Kaze
Party member

Post by Kaze »

Kudomiku wrote:

Um, thanks.
Had an idea from this: You could make it so that it is possible to build a fort(with the scattered boxes throughout the level) to defend from the zombies. Could add some interesting gameplay. Of course the zombies would have to be able to kick the boxes or something (As to make it not impossible to lose).
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

Katamari Damacy, which is one of my all-time favorite games, has a slightly odd control scheme, and part of the challenge in the game is mastering that.

I think it takes some skill (in game design) to pull that sort of thing off, though.
Kuromeku
Party member

Post by Kuromeku »

Kaze wrote:
Kudomiku wrote:

Um, thanks.
Had an idea from this: You could make it so that it is possible to build a fort(with the scattered boxes throughout the level) to defend from the zombies. Could add some interesting gameplay. Of course the zombies would have to be able to kick the boxes or something (As to make it not impossible to lose).
Good idea! Should you have to drag the boxes with the mouse during the 15 seconds start time, or should you have to manually push the boxes and when the time is over all boxes that have been moved become unmovable but damagable by zombies?