Mütrix

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
SimonLarsen
Party member

Re: Mütrix

Post by SimonLarsen »

Trappingnoobs wrote:
SimonLarsen wrote:
Trappingnoobs wrote: Utils.lua:47:Attempt to index a string value
Could you provide the full stack traceback? :)
utils.lua:47:in function ClearMatrix
utils.lua:31:in function ClearPatterns
utils.lua:27:in function LoadRecourses
main.lua:11: in function Load
Thanks, I think it's fixed now but I'm not sure. I was never able to reproduce it.

I've added the ability to have more than one pattern (the numbers in the bottom right corner).
It's not very useful if you want to make a real song, but it'll do until I implement something better.

I also added primitive midi export. When you press 'e' all patterns will be written to 'export.mid' in the same directory as mutrix.love.
It's sounds like crap but is useful if you want to import the patterns into something like Fruity Loops or LMMS (free) to add some real samples.

Download link :crazy:
KP0L5.png
KP0L5.png (6.58 KiB) Viewed 385 times
Trappingnoobs
Citizen

Post by Trappingnoobs »

It works now, thanks :)

Edit

Wow, it works much better than any music creation software I've used. I managed to make a half-decent clip in a few minutes.

Edit:

You'll need to change the extension to .mid

Edit:

It sounds a bit different to what it did in the application. I'm assuming that'd be because you're using different sounds to the ones used to play mid(i) files.
Attachments
export.txt
(7.27 KiB) Downloaded 143 times
Last edited by Trappingnoobs on Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Trappingnoobs wrote:I'd upload my file but ''The extension mid is not allowed''.
:huh: Rename, anyone? And putting the "sourcel" up here is probably not useful, since it is a binary format, and Unicode encoding can do funny things to things that aren't text.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
SimonLarsen
Party member

Post by SimonLarsen »

Trappingnoobs wrote: It sounds a bit different to what it did in the application. I'm assuming that'd be because you're using different sounds to the ones used to play mid(i) files.
As I mentioned before the midi will sound way different than in Mütrix, but it can be used to replace the samples with something different.
You wouldn't want to use the samples in Mütrix for every song anyway.

Here is an example where I just put something random together, imported the midi to LMMS and simply replaced the tracks with something else:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8716262/export.mp3

Edit: Here's another one I ran through GXSCC: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8716262/feeemel.mp3 (note, the drums are LOUD)
Last edited by SimonLarsen on Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Trappingnoobs
Citizen

Post by Trappingnoobs »

SimonLarsen wrote:
Trappingnoobs wrote: It sounds a bit different to what it did in the application. I'm assuming that'd be because you're using different sounds to the ones used to play mid(i) files.
As I mentioned before the midi will sound way different than in Mütrix, but it can be used to replace the samples with something different.
You wouldn't want to use the samples in Mütrix for every song anyway.

Here is an example where I just put something random together, imported the midi to LMMS and simply replaced the tracks with something else:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8716262/export.mp3
Wow, that's amazing.

I like how mine was outputted though. It sounds like something from Age of Empires for the most part.

If you're still adding things, possible a play/pause button, and a play all button (Automaticallly switch to next track after finished) would be great.
SimonLarsen
Party member

Post by SimonLarsen »

Finally had some time to work on this again. You're probably tired of this by now but I've promised myself to finish it.

Changes:
  • Added a "song editor" to the buttom of the screen. Click on the bar (or press the 's' key) to focus it. Use the number keys to add patterns to the song queue. Use delete and backspace to delete cells (works like a text field). You only have 9 patterns (below the bass matrix) available, which you are free to repeat as much as you want. I'm not sure if this is way to little. Thoughts?
  • Space bar now pauses the player (clear pattern has been moved to 'c' key)
  • Press return to start and stop song
  • Added file dialog to type in filename when exporting to MIDI
  • MIDI export now exports to the correct tempo
Check the README for new controls.

Screenshot:
NYQkR.png
NYQkR.png (9.19 KiB) Viewed 387 times
The song editor is pretty annoying to work with and I think I've added a gazillion new bugs now. Feel free to report them if you find any.
I'm planning on adding some different instruments to select from (much like moods) and a help screen and then I guess I'll call this one finished for now, unless somebody has a request.

Download here Enjoy! :awesome:
Ensayia
Party member

Post by Ensayia »

SimonLarsen wrote:I'll call this one finished for now, unless somebody has a request.
Is there ANY possibility of exporting to a format other than MIDI? Perhaps a tracker format?
SimonLarsen
Party member

Post by SimonLarsen »

Ensayia wrote:
SimonLarsen wrote:I'll call this one finished for now, unless somebody has a request.
Is there ANY possibility of exporting to a format other than MIDI? Perhaps a tracker format?
I'm looking through the documentation for the XM format, and while it's certainly not trivial it not that complicated either. Might give it a try if I can find the time and motivation. It bothers me that it can't export to a proper format. XM (or something similar) might be the closest I'll get.
kaishaku
Prole

Post by kaishaku »

How about saving and loading its own format?
miloguy
Prole

Post by miloguy »

Tonematrix ftw :D

Coolio