Good ol' Gimp

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
azonicrider
Prole

Good ol' Gimp

Post by azonicrider »

I hate seeing people purchasing icon editors and all that. Open-source programs have the same power, if not more power:
Not sure what I was doing here. I think that was a fireball?
josefnpat
Inner party member

Re: Good ol' Gimp

Post by josefnpat »

I too use gimp for pixel art :)
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push
Qcode
Party member

Post by Qcode »

Since this seems like a good place to ask this question, how are you supposed to scale images in love without losing quality? I too, use Gimp and I was wondering if there was some secret setting I wasn't aware of (in Gimp or love) that you can use to easily scale images without losing quality.
josefnpat
Inner party member

Post by josefnpat »

Qcode wrote:Since this seems like a good place to ask this question, how are you supposed to scale images in love without losing quality? I too, use Gimp and I was wondering if there was some secret setting I wasn't aware of (in Gimp or love) that you can use to easily scale images without losing quality.
You probably want Image:setFilter with the nearest FilterMode.
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push
Larsii30
Party member

Post by Larsii30 »

yep, use imageFilter with "nearest".
Gimp is a great tool to do pixel art or icons for the game.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

How did you get the pixels in GIMP to be black, thin grid?

I really like GIMP but there are a few things that bother me. Like how you can't create transparency in a picture that doesn't have it already. I am not talking about semitransparent colors, I am talking about completely transparent pixels. And it always picks white background as the default for new images.
Alex22
Prole

Post by Alex22 »

T-Bone wrote:How did you get the pixels in GIMP to be black, thin grid?

I really like GIMP but there are a few things that bother me. Like how you can't create transparency in a picture that doesn't have it already. I am not talking about semitransparent colors, I am talking about completely transparent pixels. And it always picks white background as the default for new images.
I'm not sure if I got something wrong here, but if your layer has no transparency channel, just go to the layer panel, rightclick on the layer you want to have transparency and click add alphachannel.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

You can always pick the background colour for new images. You can even pick transparent. (You might need to click on some "show advanced properties" thingy or something, can't remember.)
Help us help you: attach a .love.
azonicrider
Prole

Post by azonicrider »

Qcode wrote:Since this seems like a good place to ask this question, how are you supposed to scale images in love without losing quality? I too, use Gimp and I was wondering if there was some secret setting I wasn't aware of (in Gimp or love) that you can use to easily scale images without losing quality.
Maybe switch to vector graphics. On second thought, I doubt LOVE will handle SVG files.

T-bone you could copy your current layer by using the rectangle select, create a new transparency layer, then paste your old layer onto it.

If somehow you're talking about the grid guide, go to View > Show grid while on Gimp.
qaisjp
Party member

Post by qaisjp »

This forum doesn't have a "thanks" feature, so I'm just writing this post to say this... "thanks"
Lua is not an acronym.