Corona user interested in some Löve...

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Lava Level
Prole

Corona user interested in some Löve...

Post by Lava Level »

well that's it in a nutshell. lol.

Here is the long story, started programming back in the stone age. Then got a job designing and doing graphics for arcade coin-op, snes, dreamcast, then ran a gameboy company, blah blah.... Not much code for a couple decades.

So when I returned to programming it was with flash, as3. I dabbled here and there and learned a little, made some neat things. Then I had this crazy idea that I wanted to make mobile games. So I looked into Xcode and found it just to boring and frankly a little on the complicated side. Then I checked out Game Salad and it seemed too basic and juvenile. Then I found Corona and it was perfectly what I needed.

Fast forward 13 months and a finished epic rpg about to release and here I am.

So are there many Corona users here? I learned Lua and now I want to put it to a different use. Also I can't really participate in game jams with Corona. That seems like something that interests me. That and being able to distribute small simple games on Windows as exe. Plus I recently played a game called The Wager and realized it was using Lua(LÖVE I suspect). inspiring and a really good little game.

and that's it. hope to contribute a little and learn a ton!
:neko:
releasing QuestLord soooooooooon....
programmed in Lua: http://www.QuestLord.com
kikito
Inner party member

Re: Corona user interested in some Löve...

Post by kikito »

Welcome!

I'm not a Corona user, but I have browsed it and even answered some Corona-related questions in Stackoverflow.

Make sure to mention your epic rpg game here once it's released!
When I write def I mean function.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

Löve sounds like something you could find useful. I've been looking at Corona quite a bit myself, but with no Windows Phone support, I don't think it's for me. I guess I like supporting the little guys :)
master both
Party member

Post by master both »

Hi! i dont know how Corona might be, but from what i have seen from löve, i can tell you it has a big potencial for many things, just look at Mari0 http://stabyourself.net/mari0/, Its the best example i can give you. Also you cant imagine how helpfull this community is.
PS: if you want to use this framework for gamejams, Leafo got the 19th place in the overall.
Lava Level
Prole

Post by Lava Level »

Hey Kikito, I changed my sig to have my upcoming Lua programmed Corona release! So excite! (and a bit nervous) :shock:

T-Bone:
but with no Windows Phone support, I don't think it's for me. I guess I like supporting the little guys
Funny how Microsoft are now the 'little guys'. oh how things change! But this is another reason why LÖVE interests me.

Masterbooth:
cool example!
if you want to use this framework for gamejams, Leafo got the 19th place in the overall.
That's Awesome! my main interest for checking out LÖVE is I can share something directly without having to worry about mobile & OSx/iOS marketplaces. Can't wait to get started! I will probably make something very small at first.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

Lava Level wrote:Hey Kikito, I changed my sig to have my upcoming Lua programmed Corona release! So excite! (and a bit nervous) :shock:
Looks roguelike-y enough to me. (That's a good thing to me). The mobile interface looks nice. Is it a pure brawler, or does it have some strategy? Also, you should put the platforms where it ships somewhere visible on the site.
Can't wait to get started! I will probably make something very small at first.
That's the right frame of mind right there :)
When I write def I mean function.
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

Is it available on Android?
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
Lava Level
Prole

Post by Lava Level »

kikto:

awesome!
Also, you should put the platforms where it ships somewhere visible on the site.
You are soooo right. Will do. So swamped atm, but that needs to happen very soon. Wasnt even allowing myself to come here until it was finished but somehow my inner urge to check out LÖVE took over!

Far more than a brawler, very Quest driven with huge story. But I just added a Rogue-Style of play this month for those very appetites. (I crave random dungeons too!)

Nixola:
Is it available on Android?
Not available anywhere yet. But yes, it will be for Android, Kindle Fire, Nook, etc. All mobile devices except Blackberry(never) and Windows Mobile.

I have been toying with the idea of porting it to LÖVE for Mac OS / Windows (Perhaps my avenue to Windows Mobile?) release later on. But for now my interest in LÖVE is to keep using Lua to try to make some neat stuff.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

Just wanted to make one thing clear. Löve for Android is still in an early stage. While it's certainly possible to make a game with it and get it to Google Play, it's far from perfect, and it's only Löve 0.7.2 for now.