Tower Quest 0.10 [WIP]

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Larsii30
Party member

Re: Tower Quest

Post by Larsii30 »

great job. :)
hopefully you come back and show us more in the future. :p
CaptainMaelstrom
Party member

Post by CaptainMaelstrom »

This is really cool.I'm sad that there's no music during the gameplay, but it's beautiful, visually. Especially like the title screen. Never been one for these kinds of puzzles, but I admire that you keep adding more and more to the game like new kinds of tiles and what not. Your programming must be well organized, compared to mine :nyu:
Germanunkol
Party member

Post by Germanunkol »

Nice game!
It works really well, well done! :)
trAInsported - Write AI to control your trains
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
GridCars - Our jam entry for LD31
Germanunkol.de
jonyzz
Prole

Post by jonyzz »

Thanks guys :D. I've recently started working on this game again, so there might be a new release soon.
jonyzz
Prole

Post by jonyzz »

After a while, here is the promised update :awesome: !

tower-quest-0.09.love

Major changes 0.07 -> 0.09:
  • New level selection screen.
  • New 3+1 level completion system.
  • Simplified game help. The first 4 levels now act as a tutorial.
  • 12 new levels.
  • New objects: switch and gate
  • A lot of bugfixes.
I'd also like to ask you for some feedback, like what is the highest level you've reached or if there are any levels you think are too much difficult.

And finally some screenshots, because we like them :)

jonyzz
Prole

Post by jonyzz »

It's been a while, but I finally managed to release version 0.10 ^^.

Chngelog:

Code: Select all

- Added level editor.
- Added 8 new levels.
- Added new game music.
- Added level completion sound.
- Added cheats.
- Added game icon.
- New graphics for diamonds.
- New game loading screen.
- New error screen.
- New objects: rock, small/big dynamite.
- It is possible to throw objects into abyss.
- Separate volume settings for music and sounds.
- Level selection screen has scrollbar.
- Changed level data format to XML.
- Simplified joystick controls.
- Relicensed to MIT.
- Some bugfixes.
The reason why it took so long is that I rewrote most of the code and refactored it into a library (PGU). There is currently no documentation for this library, but I can start working on it if anyone is interested ^^.

I'm also looking for help with development:
  • Music - The current game music is proceduraly generated, so it somewhat monotonous. If anynone can provide something better, you are welcome ^^. Maybe you can just direct me to some music archive / forum / author, because I wasn't able to find anything appropriate.
  • Level design - Tower quest has now 40 levels, but the plan is to have at least 80. With the level editor, creation of new levels is super easy. Share your creations and they might get into the next release.
  • Other stuff - Ideas for new game objects, improvements, bugreports, ... anything is welcome ;).
This is also the first time I made package for OS X, but I couldn't test it, so I don't know if it's working at all. If somebody tried it, please let me know :).
fo7KjzO.png
fo7KjzO.png (19.34 KiB) Viewed 428 times
S886QxJ.png
S886QxJ.png (11.39 KiB) Viewed 428 times
GQn5rHq.png
GQn5rHq.png (12.05 KiB) Viewed 428 times
DaedalusYoung
Party member

Re: Tower Quest 0.10 [WIP]

Post by DaedalusYoung »

The OS X package doesn't work for me on 10.8.5. It immediately closes on startup, no error message or anything. If I open the package, the .love is opened by right-clicking, then select "Open with love (0.8.0)". By default it wants to open with tower-quest, but that fails.
jonyzz
Prole

Post by jonyzz »

DaedalusYoung wrote:The OS X package doesn't work for me on 10.8.5. It immediately closes on startup, no error message or anything. If I open the package, the .love is opened by right-clicking, then select "Open with love (0.8.0)". By default it wants to open with tower-quest, but that fails.
Thanks for testing. I probably made mistake when modifying Info.plist. I hope this one will work.
Roland_Yonaba
Inner party member

Post by Roland_Yonaba »

This is pretty neat. All incremental updates makes it better, keep it up!

Note:The PGU collection of module is quite clean, and some parts are easily reusable.
I think you should start documenting it, just for yourself :) (suggesting LDoc... :ehem: )
DaedalusYoung
Party member

Post by DaedalusYoung »

Hm, the new version also didn't work on my machine. For some reason, the love executable inside the .app file wanted to be opened with TextEdit, instead of Terminal. However, even attempting to fix that didn't work and when I just copied a working love executable into it, I got an error message saying that it wasn't compatible with my version of OS X.

I tried to make an .app file for you, at least this one works for me, other people on Mac will have to report if it works for them too: tower-quest-osx.zip

There's hardly any differences between the plist files though, so I don't think that's the problem. It must be a problem with the love executable.