trAInsported

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Germanunkol
Party member

Re: trAInsported: Alpha testers needed

Post by Germanunkol »

TheScriptan wrote:Are you making this all by yourself??? :ultrashocked:
Well, I got blender and gimp to help me ... :)
Oh, and Imagemagick... I'm starting to love imagemagick!
master both wrote:can i suggest a scaling function? Please.
Sorry, what do you mean by a scaling function? Do you mean zooming? You can zoom using the mouse wheel or "Q" and "E".
Or do you mean something else entirely?
trAInsported - Write AI to control your trains
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
GridCars - Our jam entry for LD31
Germanunkol.de
master both
Party member

Post by master both »

master both wrote:can i suggest a scaling function? Please.
Germanunkol wrote:Sorry, what do you mean by a scaling function? Do you mean zooming? You can zoom using the mouse wheel or "Q" and "E".
Or do you mean something else entirely?
Nothing, im a total stupid, didn’t see the settings :?. i was going to ask for resizeable windows.
substitute541
Party member

Post by substitute541 »

About half of the top ten is populated by path-finders, the other half is populated by probability-checkers.
Currently designing themes for WordPress.

Sometimes lurks around the forum.
AnToHu0
Prole

Post by AnToHu0 »

Hi, Germanunkol!
I`m from Russia and i`ve got some trouble with game path: by default game stores AI scripts in %appData% directory(win7 x64). My system appdata path contains cyrillic glyphs and game can`t create or read any scripts. I ran game with --console option and saw, that cyrillic part of path substituted by pseudographical symbols.
So I had to create new user in my system to play.
Can you fix this encoding bug If it`s not a feature of LOVE engine?

P.S. At the same time textures and *.conf file creates succsessfully.
P.P.S Sorry for my english=)
P.P.P.S. You`ve made great game, thanks a lot!
substitute541
Party member

Post by substitute541 »

Haven't researched it yet, but I think UTF-8 doesn't support Cyrillic symbols. Maybe that's why it throws an error. It's the problem of either LOVE or Lua.
Currently designing themes for WordPress.

Sometimes lurks around the forum.
AnToHu0
Prole

Post by AnToHu0 »

substitute541 wrote:Haven't researched it yet, but I think UTF-8 doesn't support Cyrillic symbols. Maybe that's why it throws an error. It's the problem of either LOVE or Lua.
It doesn`t throw an error. Game just doesn`t see files. And utf-8 supports symbols of almost all alphabets including cyrillic. http://www.utf8-chartable.de/unicode-ut ... start=1024
Germanunkol
Party member

Post by Germanunkol »

AnToHu0 wrote:Hi, Germanunkol!
I`m from Russia and i`ve got some trouble with game path: by default game stores AI scripts in %appData% directory(win7 x64). My system appdata path contains cyrillic glyphs and game can`t create or read any scripts. I ran game with --console option and saw, that cyrillic part of path substituted by pseudographical symbols.
So I had to create new user in my system to play.
Can you fix this encoding bug If it`s not a feature of LOVE engine?

P.S. At the same time textures and *.conf file creates succsessfully.
P.P.S Sorry for my english=)
P.P.P.S. You`ve made great game, thanks a lot!
Hey, thanks a lot for the nice remarks and the feedback!
I did not know there there could be problems with this. But to help me debug, maybe you could try the following for me (I don't have a cyrillic OS here):
TestEnumerate.love
Please run it on your cyrillic user account, (make sure the AI subfolder of the %APPDATA%\love\trAInsported folder already exists) with --console option and place the results here. Then please also post the ouput of the following when you run it in the cmd.exe (find it using your start menu)

Code: Select all

dir "[DIrectory Of your AI folder]" /B
Could you do that? It might help me find the problem! Thanks :)
Last edited by Germanunkol on Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
Germanunkol.de
Nabakin
Prole

Post by Nabakin »

You are amazing sir! Your game doesn't lag one bit and I cant even imagine how you were able to render those maps with such perfection. Any tips to give a semi-newbie?
asfreng
Prole

Post by asfreng »

In the version 2, compete mode passengers never appear (they do it in challenge maps) ;(
Another thing, where i can get the new stuff added from version 1 to 2 (excluding tutorials =P)?
Btw great game, congrats for the big work =)
Germanunkol
Party member

Post by Germanunkol »

I'm about to release the next version, maybe tomorrow. There's lot's of new stuff... here's a preview:
Image Image
On another note: Is there anyone who'd like to contribute some more sound effects?
Nabakin wrote:...Any tips to give a semi-newbie?
Thanks! :)
For the map rendering, have a look at the Image subfolder. There's all the tiles I use... and then I piece them together in Scripts/mapRenderPart.lua (https://github.com/Germanunkol/trAInspo ... erPart.lua), you can check that out as well.
Basically, first I create a table of tables, so that I get a two-dimensional representation of the map. Then I fill it with Letters - R for rails, H for house etc. And at the end I go through table line by line and create an imageData that I paste the tiles into using imageData:paste(). At the end I create an image from that.

Of course it gets a little more involved: I split it up into multiple threads and map parts. Also, there's things like the edges that I need to look out for: they get other images. But basically, the above procedure was how I started - so that was pretty straight forward.

Some say this is not the best way, and I should use sprite batches instead. But I don't think I'll change it back now... it works :P
Germanunkol.de