Unnamed Zombie Game v0.06

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
BozoDel
Party member

Re: Unnamed Zombie Game v0.01

Post by BozoDel »

Davidobot wrote:Thank you for your comment! What do you mean by Mangueira zombies?
It's just that your zombies have the same colors as the Mangueira samba school ^^
Davidobot wrote:I have no idea what could have caused those crashed :shock:
Hmmm, since even in client, it still runs the server, maybe try to allow access via your firewall or something?
Tried opening the firewall completely, it didn't make a difference.

I can fix the first problem by manually calling GameState:enable() (again, I do that with LoveDebug), and then pressing S. It seems GameState:enable should be run before any function that requires the variable "client", and that's not happening.

For the second problem, it's calling some "loadstring" function that doesn't seem to be declared anywhere on your code. I have no idea how I'm the only one getting those error messages...

I tried with v0.02, but it's the same, the lines where the errors occur change a bit, but that's it.
Davidobot
Party member

Re: Unnamed Zombie Game v0.01

Post by Davidobot »

BozoDel wrote:
Davidobot wrote:I have no idea what could have caused those crashed :shock:
Hmmm, since even in client, it still runs the server, maybe try to allow access via your firewall or something?
Tried opening the firewall completely, it didn't make a difference.

I can fix the first problem by manually calling GameState:enable() (again, I do that with LoveDebug), and then pressing S. It seems GameState:enable should be run before any function that requires the variable "client", and that's not happening.

For the second problem, it's calling some "loadstring" function that doesn't seem to be declared anywhere on your code. I have no idea how I'm the only one getting those error messages...

I tried with v0.02, but it's the same, the lines where the errors occur change a bit, but that's it.
That's some weird shit...
Hmm, GameState:enable() should be ran when you press c in the menu.
And loadstring is a Lua function?
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
BozoDel
Party member

Re: Unnamed Zombie Game v0.02

Post by BozoDel »

Davidobot wrote:Hmm, GameState:enable() should be ran when you press c in the menu.
Yes, it seems it does work. But actually, the problem I fix by calling GameState:enable() is when I try to run server only. Server mode requires the "client" variable, it seems.
Davidobot wrote:And loadstring is a Lua function?
Yes it is, sir, sorry for the bullcrap.
The problem is with "data", which is undefined.

Though I wouldn't be totally surprised if the problem has nothing to do with your code. Several people have been having problem with the latest Ubuntu builds, and my system is behaving strangely regarding a lot of other things...
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

BozoDel wrote:
Davidobot wrote:Hmm, GameState:enable() should be ran when you press c in the menu.
Yes, it seems it does work. But actually, the problem I fix by calling GameState:enable() is when I try to run server only. Server mode requires the "client" variable, it seems.
Hmm, I'll check that out.

BozoDel wrote:
Davidobot wrote:And loadstring is a Lua function?
Yes it is, sir, sorry for the bullcrap.
The problem is with "data", which is undefined.

Though I wouldn't be totally surprised if the problem has nothing to do with your code. Several people have been having problem with the latest Ubuntu builds, and my system is behaving strangely regarding a lot of other things...
Hmm, I'll look into this problem.
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
davisdude
Party member

Post by davisdude »

The new zombie does make it much, harder.

However, there is something (not sure if it's a bug or not, but thought I'd let you know): the new zombies (for now known to me as just 'blue zombies') will sit idle until you are in their "area". Not sure how else to describe it, but at one point there were at last a dozen sitting on one point. I have a picture of it (not in such a large quantity, but still there). They just sort of sit there... it's actually rather unnerving. At any rate, I think that you should also be able to use the scroll wheel on the mouse to cycle through the weapons, too.
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim
BozoDel
Party member

Post by BozoDel »

I can hold the left mouse button and press buttons 2 and 3 alternatively very fast, which allows me to spam sniper bullets.

I had two clients running on the same computer (v0.01, with LoveDebug). Despite the errors (which seem to be connectivity ones), they connected, and I was able to see both players in both clients. However, things got slower, and the zombies stood still.

I just had an insight. Is the game trying to connect to some master server, or something?
davisdude wrote:the new zombies (for now known to me as just 'blue zombies') will sit idle until you are in their "area". Not sure how else to describe it, but at one point there were at last a dozen sitting on one point.
Not only the new zombies. They all tend to gather at a single spot. I think it'd make things way cooler to make them collide.
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

davisdude wrote:The new zombie does make it much, harder.

However, there is something (not sure if it's a bug or not, but thought I'd let you know): the new zombies (for now known to me as just 'blue zombies') will sit idle until you are in their "area". Not sure how else to describe it, but at one point there were at last a dozen sitting on one point. I have a picture of it (not in such a large quantity, but still there). They just sort of sit there... it's actually rather unnerving. At any rate, I think that you should also be able to use the scroll wheel on the mouse to cycle through the weapons, too.
Hmm, yeah the blue zombies are just meant to stand there, until they see you, then they charge at you.
Are they a bit too hard?
BozoDel wrote:I can hold the left mouse button and press buttons 2 and 3 alternatively very fast, which allows me to spam sniper bullets.
Hmm, thanks for reporting, I'll fix this in the next update.
BozoDel wrote: I had two clients running on the same computer (v0.01, with LoveDebug). Despite the errors (which seem to be connectivity ones), they connected, and I was able to see both players in both clients. However, things got slower, and the zombies stood still.
Damn, that's what I was afraid of, the current zombie limit is set to 30 zombies because, at least on my computer, the server stops sending back data after about 35 zombies, I think I'll switch to tcp and see what happens.
BozoDel wrote: I just had an insight. Is the game trying to connect to some master server, or something?
Well, no.
The game works like this: You can either run a server and that's that, or you can run a client, which automatically starts a server too.
BozoDel wrote:
davisdude wrote:the new zombies (for now known to me as just 'blue zombies') will sit idle until you are in their "area". Not sure how else to describe it, but at one point there were at last a dozen sitting on one point.
Not only the new zombies. They all tend to gather at a single spot. I think it'd make things way cooler to make them collide.
Will do! :awesome:
davisdude
Party member

Post by davisdude »

Davidobot wrote:Hmm, yeah the blue zombies are just meant to stand there, until they see you, then they charge at you.
Are they a bit too hard?
Oh, okay. They're not too hard. Add some challenge to the game...

Pathfinding for zombies would be really cool.
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim
BozoDel
Party member

Post by BozoDel »

Davidobot wrote:The game works like this: You can either run a server and that's that, or you can run a client, which automatically starts a server too.
So when I tried to run two clients, I was actually running two servers too? That's bad.
davisdude wrote:Pathfinding for zombies would be really cool.
Not sure. Maybe just a few special smart ones, but most zombies are supposed to be stupid, methinks.
Davidobot
Party member

Re: Unnamed Zombie Game v0.02.5

Post by Davidobot »

I updated the game to v0.02.5

Changelog:
Made clients only run a server when needed.
Tried adding collisions between zombies, didn't work X.X
Switched to TCP, which allows for more zombies at the same time.
Respawn when dead.

Notes: I might add path-finding for smarter zombies. They are, as BozoDel pointed out, meant to be stupid.