My Adventure Game Engine - Making Way For Adventure Engine 2

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
Robin
The Omniscient

Re: My Adventure Game Engine - GIT is hard. Need help please

Post by Robin »

nevon wrote:Doesn't git rm work?
I thought Jasoco meant permanently remove from all previous commits. If that's not the case, git rm is what you need.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

Jasoco wrote:How do I remove stuff from the repository? I replaced all the music with new stuff but it kept and merged all the new stuff with the old. The old stuff isn't needed anymore.
I explained that here:

http://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php? ... 270#p18025

Let me know if you need more help.
When I write def I mean function.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Well, I want to just remove the entire music folder and reupload it as it is now because I changed all the songs. And I really do not feel like doing the stupid thing like rm every single file. So I'd rather rm the whole folder and upload it again. Is there a command like add * that will remove anything that was deleted as well as add new changes? I tried git commit -a and it said stuff was deleted, but didn't actually delete them. I even tested the download and sure enough, the files were still in there.

Bah. WTF? Okay, I rm -rf the music folder, and it deleted the files from my computer? What? No!! I didn't want THAT! FUCK!

I think I figured out how to download the whole snapshot from when the music was still there so I can get it back. (Since I'm at work and not home with my backup server) But is there a way to just download a certain folder from a specific point in history?
Last edited by Jasoco on Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Post by nevon »

Jasoco wrote:Well, I want to just remove the entire music folder and reupload it as it is now because I changed all the songs. And I really do not feel like doing the stupid thing like rm every single file. So I'd rather rm the whole folder and upload it again. Is there a command like add * that will remove anything that was deleted as well as add new changes? I tried git commit -a and it said stuff was deleted, but didn't actually delete them. I even tested the download and sure enough, the files were still in there.
Yes. Just do

Code: Select all

git rm -rf music //or whatever you music folder is called
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Yeah, but it deleted the files from my computer! I didn't want it to do that. I wanted it to remove them from the GIT repository only.

Anyway, everything is fixed. Has anyone tested this lately? I did some really neat changes last night. A little experimentation with cinematic introduction. Check it out and post what you think! (If it works)

Music is from a royalty-free music website:
http://incompetech.com/m/c/royalty-free/

Makes good placeholders for now.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

I think it's better if you leave the music out of the Git repository. It's not really what Git is meant for, and certainly not what it is optimized for. Especially if you want to change it at some point. Best just distribute it with releases, and let the Git version be silent.

The same thing applies here as science fiction taught us: don't meddle with the past.

Incidentally, I'm having difficulties cloning your repository. It wants to fetch something that doesn't exist. A nasty left-over from the history-rewriting? Anyway, I just downloaded a tarball anyway. I'll go check it now.

EDIT: fsaa considered harmful: please don't enable it by default. Also, I'd like a setIdentity, so it doesn't save the files in ~/.love directly.

I liked the improvements. The “Jasoco” in the very first screen falls too soon for me, the game isn't really ready yet, so it doesn't appear on my screen. Old timey-effects: very nice.

The intro scene -- is it skippable?

And another thing :P I was wondering whether you already had a story for an actual game in this engine. Is that so, or do you have no idea what to do other than having Kristen Stewart and Zooey Deschanel bein' sisters and stuff?
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Robin wrote:I think it's better if you leave the music out of the Git repository. It's not really what Git is meant for, and certainly not what it is optimized for. Especially if you want to change it at some point. Best just distribute it with releases, and let the Git version be silent.

The same thing applies here as science fiction taught us: don't meddle with the past.
How would you do that?
Incidentally, I'm having difficulties cloning your repository. It wants to fetch something that doesn't exist. A nasty left-over from the history-rewriting? Anyway, I just downloaded a tarball anyway. I'll go check it now.
What does that mean? Cloning? What happens when you try?
EDIT: fsaa considered harmful: please don't enable it by default. Also, I'd like a setIdentity, so it doesn't save the files in ~/.love directly.
I don't even know what it does. I'll turn it off. I just copied it from another project. (The 3D dice roller) Also, it doesn't save in ~/.love. Why is yours? Oh, are you on Linux? Because on OS X it saves in my Library. I have put a setIdentity in the new version. It has the same name "Adventure". Let me know if it saves in the right place. BTW, where do each respective OS save their game files? On OS X it's in ~/Library/Application Support/LOVE/***. Where does Linux and OS X do it?
I liked the improvements. The “Jasoco” in the very first screen falls too soon for me, the game isn't really ready yet, so it doesn't appear on my screen. Old timey-effects: very nice.
I know. The Physics sometimes fails too. It was a fun experiment, but I don't think it's going to be around much longer. The game will probably just go directly into the game as it is with the logo being over the scrolling map. Sometimes it works fine, others it will get stuck and fall randomly in weird directions like the Physics module got sick or something. You like the interesting film grain? I liked it t first, but eventually it may be taken out. Depends on where I go with this.
The intro scene -- is it skippable?
How many times do I have to mention the S key? It saves your progress. Just save right after the intro is done and it will keep it for future plays. Save after the intro or after the conversation or after the saving of the girl in the orchard. Whatever you want. Just remember to delete the entire thing later.
And another thing :P I was wondering whether you already had a story for an actual game in this engine. Is that so, or do you have no idea what to do other than having Kristen Stewart and Zooey Deschanel bein' sisters and stuff?
No game. Just engine. Game will come later. I just picked the names out of the air one day. All you see right now is for demo purposes to see what the engine can do.

BTW, when you play these games, make sure to delete your previous preferences and stuff so it thinks you're starting fresh. I just noticed the music was off by default. The intro doesn't have the same impact without the music. So turn it on and view the game intro again.

Also, the game currently uses os.time(). I know some older versions would crash in Windows when accessing os.time() so keep that in mind and disable that line in the "gameTime()" function if it happens. It is used for the two clocks in the game. One on the side of the Inn and one inside the inn on the small Grandfather clock. Check it out! Shows off what I can do with my engine and scripts.

The panning is done with a quick snap to top of map then slow moving pan to players X,Y point while inside the courtyard's post script .lua file there is a draw function that takes care of the credits and the moving clouds.

Also remember, press E during the intro to edit. Press T while editing to test. It's a little buggy. Also any maps you save are placed in the same path under the games Identity folder. If you create maps and download a new version, keep the custom maps when you delete the other stuff if you want. Don't go crazy yet. It's not all finished or documented thoroughly. One bug I've had is if you edit Courtyard, then test, then edit and try to test again it craps out. I'll get to the bottom of that. Things will work out in time.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Jasoco wrote:
Robin wrote:I think it's better if you leave the music out of the Git repository. It's not really what Git is meant for, and certainly not what it is optimized for. Especially if you want to change it at some point. Best just distribute it with releases, and let the Git version be silent.

How would you do that?
Distributing music just with releases or changing the past?
Jasoco wrote:What does that mean? Cloning? What happens when you try?
Cloning is when you download a complete Git repository so you can track development (or possibly contribute). When I try it downloads a bunch of stuff but then says “fetch failed”, which I take it to mean that some object is referenced which does not actually exist (any more).
Jasoco wrote:Also, it doesn't save in ~/.love. Why is yours? Oh, are you on Linux? Because on OS X it saves in my Library. I have put a setIdentity in the new version. It has the same name "Adventure". Let me know if it saves in the right place. BTW, where do each respective OS save their game files? On OS X it's in ~/Library/Application Support/LOVE/***. Where does Linux and OS X do it?
OK, will look at it again soon. Well, Linux has ~/.love/ and Windows saves it somewhere in \Documents and Settings\Application Data\ IIRC.
Jasoco wrote:Sometimes it works fine, others it will get stuck and fall randomly in weird directions like the Physics module got sick or something.
I think because the loading takes some time, which causes a massive first dt. (All speculation! Not a fact!) You could limit the dt to be something like .5 or .2 seconds or so, or you could load stuff in update(), during an intro screen, loading a single resource each frame or something.
Jasoco wrote:How many times do I have to mention the S key? It saves your progress. Just save right after the intro is done and it will keep it for future plays. Save after the intro or after the conversation or after the saving of the girl in the orchard. Whatever you want. Just remember to delete the entire thing later.
D'oh!
Jasoco wrote:BTW, when you play these games, make sure to delete your previous preferences and stuff so it thinks you're starting fresh. I just noticed the music was off by default. The intro doesn't have the same impact without the music. So turn it on and view the game intro again.
Unfortunately, LÖVE has problems playing music on certain platforms (including mine), so I doubt it'll have the impact you intended. :(
Jasoco wrote:Also remember, press E during the intro to edit. Press T while editing to test. It's a little buggy. Also any maps you save are placed in the same path under the games Identity folder. If you create maps and download a new version, keep the custom maps when you delete the other stuff if you want. Don't go crazy yet. It's not all finished or documented thoroughly. One bug I've had is if you edit Courtyard, then test, then edit and try to test again it craps out. I'll get to the bottom of that. Things will work out in time.
And how do I get out of the editing screen and just go back to where I was?
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

About os.time, if you don't use %R then there shouldn't be any problems.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Robin wrote:Distributing music just with releases or changing the past?
I guess distributing music. But releases? There won't be an actual release until it's done. Unless you mean test releases. I don't plan on deleting music anymore much though because I'm keeping the stuff I have now until I finalize anyway.
Cloning is when you download a complete Git repository so you can track development (or possibly contribute). When I try it downloads a bunch of stuff but then says “fetch failed”, which I take it to mean that some object is referenced which does not actually exist (any more).
Hmm. Can't help you there. I didn't do anything wrong. And I don't know anything about GIT, but if it's that picky and complain-y then I don't want to troubleshoot it. Maybe one of you nice GIT-familiar gentlemen knows. I wouldn't want problems to keep people from keeping up with my project.
I think because the loading takes some time, which causes a massive first dt. (All speculation! Not a fact!) You could limit the dt to be something like .5 or .2 seconds or so, or you could load stuff in update(), during an intro screen, loading a single resource each frame or something.
Whatever, it's gone. I don't really need it anymore. The logo is going to become part of the intro soon. Rather than a fake boot-up screen.
Unfortunately, LÖVE has problems playing music on certain platforms (including mine), so I doubt it'll have the impact you intended. :(
Shame, because the music makes the game. It's so good I might not even allow disabling in the final game. Might. What kind of problems does Linux have with music? I know OS X sometimes doesn't play right either. I'm counting on the Löve people to sort it out by the time the game is done, in 5 years or so. So...
And how do I get out of the editing screen and just go back to where I was?
Just quit and relaunch. It's not perfect, but the editor being part of the whole program has a few catches right now. Some variables don't get removed, other stuff causes conflicts. It's only there for my benefit of making maps easier right now. You can't even delete scenery or place switches and pushables yet. Yet.
bartbes wrote:About os.time, if you don't use %R then there shouldn't be any problems.
Well, I don't know what that means so I guess I don't. All I want to know is that the game doesn't crash when Windows users play it. And that the clocks show the correct time. Unfortunately, I don't know how to grab the time zone offset so the time might be wrong right now. Either way, the time is just a tech demo. In the actual game, I might set time to some arbitrary story-related time (Like if it's night, it might be 9 or 10PM, if it's day, maybe 12 noon or 3PM or something.) so for now it's just to look cool.