LÖVE on Android?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Re: LÖVE on Android?

Post by Jasoco »

Guess we'll just have to use WebKit for now if we want easy app programming for the iPhone that doesn't require a knowledge of Cocoa and $99 a year.

Just too bad JavaScript doesn't have all the box physics stuff LÖVE has at the moment but it looks like it will in time. With HTML5.

Still, it won't be as fast. And JavaScript even on the iPhone OS seems to have a delay between touching and registering the touch from what I've seen.

Android uses a WebKit browser too so I can assume you'd be able to do similar things there too.

I've been looking into WebKit's future on Safari and Chrome and it is very bright. Just look at some of this stuff: (Use Google Chrome or Safari.)
http://www.chromeexperiments.com/

One of my faves is this:
http://www.chromeexperiments.com/detail/balldroppings/

There's even gonna be 3D stuff in WebKit. Even LÖVE doesn't have 3D natively yet.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Jasoco wrote:There's even gonna be 3D stuff in WebKit. Even LÖVE doesn't have 3D natively yet.
That's a design choice, the backends it uses are fully capable of 3D (except for some things like physics)
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Jasoco wrote:I've been looking into WebKit's future on Safari and Chrome and it is very bright. Just look at some of this stuff: (Use Google Chrome or Safari.)
Or Midori. ;)
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

bartbes wrote:
Jasoco wrote:There's even gonna be 3D stuff in WebKit. Even LÖVE doesn't have 3D natively yet.
That's a design choice, the backends it uses are fully capable of 3D (except for some things like physics)
Not until I can say "create a cube at x, y, z with a width, height and depth of w, h and d and x, y and z rotations of xr, yr and zr". or "create a sphere at x, y, z with a radius of r" then have the drawing function draw them in the right order (Say I define a shape that's further back after defining one that's closer to the front. Obviously the one further back should be drawn behind the other one, but if they are drawn in the order I defined them, they're drawn wrong.) Don't forget placing a camera at x, y, z with rotations and focal points. Until I can define all that stuff and have the 3D world draw it all correctly automatically, it's not ready yet. Even WebKit isn't fully there yet, but they're making strides.
Robin wrote:
Jasoco wrote:I've been looking into WebKit's future on Safari and Chrome and it is very bright. Just look at some of this stuff: (Use Google Chrome or Safari.)
Or Midori. ;)
Midori might be WebKit, as is Chrome, but only Safari (And Apple) has the experimental cool shit that makes your web apps look amazing. Especially the iPhone's Safari which has touch events via JavaScript, even multiple fingers. ChromeExperiments only shows off stuff WebKit can do by stock. Not the cool things Apple themselves has been working on and is pushing for inclusion. Like transitions.

The future for WebKit is very bright. I personally think all other browsers should drop their engines and adopt WebKit because it's over. This means you, Firefox, Opera and Internet Explorer.

And no, I'm not a paid WebKit promoter. ;)
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

It's still a design choice, and OpenGL is still fully capable, anyway, back 'on-topic'
Jasoco wrote:And no, I'm not a paid WebKit promoter. ;)
YOU ARE!

But seriously, it would be bad if this stuff would be limited to WebKit, I say HTML 6.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

bartbes wrote:It's still a design choice, and OpenGL is still fully capable
Might I remind the audience of gLöve? (If not: well I gave you the link anyway.)
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

bartbes wrote:It's still a design choice, and OpenGL is still fully capable, anyway, back 'on-topic'
Jasoco wrote:And no, I'm not a paid WebKit promoter. ;)
YOU ARE!

But seriously, it would be bad if this stuff would be limited to WebKit, I say HTML 6.
Well, the iPod touch and iPhone are considered gaming machines, Apple helped with the creation of WebKit and is trying their hardest to get all these features into the standards for HTML5. WebKit will one day be a viable gaming platform on other browsers and devices and already is one on the iPhone/iTouch as it is. Also, Safari has the fastest JavaScript out there, they have to because Apple sees WebKit as a platform, not a browser rendering engine.

I'm working on a proof of concept right now. Basically I am porting the original JavaScript RPG engine I had started on before I discovered LÖVE for the iPhone Safari browser. While a little slower, it is still very fast, and with some tweaking and recoding I will be able to have something worthy of a real release within a few weeks or months.

Here is a screenshot for now:

This is with a few minutes of recoding to make the screen size match, as I have not adjusted the maps sizes yet, but it shows how nicely it works and how fast the engine will be able to process.