Tower Quest 0.10 [WIP]

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Lafolie
Inner party member

Re: Tower Quest

Post by Lafolie »

I think the half-block movement is fine and smooths it out a little. All you need to do is have a short timer that has to expire before the blocks start to get pushed around.
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
Roland_Yonaba
Inner party member

Post by Roland_Yonaba »

Good. Very good.
Loved the way you bring the title screen.

Actually, I think it's a little bit odd that the player cannot collide with the treasure box to open a gate to the next floor.
I would suggest making it "zelda-like". To take the key, the player should be facing the box to take the key. And shouldn't be able to cross over this box, but should collide with it.

Also, could you increase a bit the player speed, for moves ? I found it sometimes too slow.
But that's up to you, maybe you should leave it like that. Or make it an option to be set ?
And, shouldn't these moves be gridlocked ?

Last thing, just an idea. A level editor ?
jorgea
Prole

Post by jorgea »

This game is looking good so far
josefnpat
Inner party member

Post by josefnpat »

Fancy and clean!

Consider changing the "level x room x" to be faster. Considering how many times you restart and change levels, it's a little long.

Also, descriptive text might be really nice as a skipable dialog in game, as opposed to white on black.
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push
jonyzz
Prole

Post by jonyzz »

josefnpat wrote:Consider changing the "level x room x" to be faster. Considering how many times you restart and change levels, it's a little long.
Also, descriptive text might be really nice as a skipable dialog in game, as opposed to white on black.
I agree, both will be in the next version.
Roland_Yonaba wrote:To take the key, the player should be facing the box to take the key. And shouldn't be able to cross over this box, but should collide with it.
I like the idea, it will be i the next version too.
Roland_Yonaba wrote:Also, could you increase a bit the player speed, for moves ? I found it sometimes too slow.
But that's up to you, maybe you should leave it like that. Or make it an option to be set ?
And, shouldn't these moves be gridlocked ?
I'll give it a try, but I'm afraid it may cause problems in levels like 02-04 where precise movement timing is necessary.
Roland_Yonaba wrote:Last thing, just an idea. A level editor ?
The level format is so simple that I wonder if an editor is really necessary (or maybe I'm just too lazy to implement it :ultraglee: ). The whole level is just a lua script with one table containing array of strings (level data) and additional information.

Code: Select all

room.data = {
    "####+####",
    "#       #",
    "# $ @ g #",
    "#       #",
    "#########"
}
However, I'm considering allowing users to put their own levels to the game directory. These levels will be then available through game menu.

Thanks for ideas ;)
Roland_Yonaba
Inner party member

Post by Roland_Yonaba »

jonyzz wrote: The level format is so simple that I wonder if an editor is really necessary (or maybe I'm just too lazy to implement it :ultraglee: ). The whole level is just a lua script with one table containing array of strings (level data) and additional information.

room.data = {
    "####+####",
    "#       #",
    "# $ @ g #",
    "#       #",
    "#########"
}
However, I'm considering allowing users to put their own levels to the game directory. These levels will be then available through game menu.

Thanks for ideas ;)
That would be wonderful.
Have you considered setting up a Git Repository ? So that folks can monitor your progresses and give some feedbacks.
Then you should create a wiki page explaining how to create new levels.
But, in the meantime, I think (IMHO, though) that you should simplify a little bit the way levels are created. Those who are not familiar with Lua should mess with table data structure, skipping commas (,) or quotes ("") on each line. Maybe levels should be written in a simple text file, this way.
####+####
# #
# $ @ g #
# #
#########
Everyone should be able to cope with that.
Now, to create your room.data table, you will have to write level parser. Basically, it should look like:

function levelParser(levelFile)
  local room = {}
  levelFilePath = 'levels/'..levelFile
  if love.filesystem.isFile(levelFilePath) then
    for line in love.filesystem.lines(levelFilePath) then
      room[#room+1] = line
    end
    --Some logic to check the level validity
    return room
  end
end
jonyzz
Prole

Post by jonyzz »

Roland_Yonaba wrote:Have you considered setting up a Git Repository ?
Thanks for reminding, I forgot to post the link https://bitbucket.org/jpikl/tower-quest.
Roland_Yonaba wrote:But, in the meantime, I think (IMHO, though) that you should simplify a little bit the way levels are created. Those who are not familiar with Lua should mess with table data structure, skipping commas (,) or quotes ("") on each line.
I'll probaly use XML.
dreadkillz
Party member

Post by dreadkillz »

I notice in your conf.lua that you are using arg to accept custom command line options. I'm looking through your code, and I cannot find this arg being declared anywhere. Is this documented somewhere in the wiki?

EDIT: Looked through source, and found arg in boot.lua, which holds the options passed to love. It's the same arg passed to love.load.
jonyzz
Prole

Post by jonyzz »

I've made some progress and here is the new version tower-quest-0.05.love. The major changes are based on your comments, so there aren't any new levels.

The game has a new configuration menu with following options:
  • Fullscren mode, window scale, audio volume
  • Push delay - enables delay (0.2 s) before player starts pushing object
  • Turbo mode - speeds everything 1.5x up (for hardcore gamers who still think the game is slow :ultrahappy: )
The duration of screen transition was changed to 1 second.

If anyone is interested in level contribution, here is a tutorial. User-made levels are available via game menu.

Complete changelog

Version 0.05
- Added README file.
- Added level creation tutorial.
- Added game configuration via menu "options".
- Added "custom levels" menu to run user-made levels.
- Transition duration lowered to 1 second.
- Level title screen can be skipped.
- Level description is displayed as in-game dialog.
- Enabled collision between player and treasure chest.
- Fixed joystick input bug on Windows.
- Fixed player animation.
- Fided rendering of game menus.
- Small changes in some levels.
- Changed level data format.
- Several small bugfixes.
Enjoy! :ultrahappy:
Inny
Party member

Post by Inny »

The number one difficulty I had was figuring out the solution, and then having to replay levels over and over until I was able to get through without accidentally nudging a crate half-way as I was walking past it, blocking my future movement. I gave up in frustration on the last room of the first floor because of this.

Nice game otherwise.