lovefilesarehard.exe

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
GungnirDev
Party member

lovefilesarehard.exe

Post by GungnirDev »

seriously guys

I can't make a LOVE .exe to save my life, and I've tried on both Mac and Windows. On Mac I couldn't find the files to rename so I tried the windows route...

I have a 32-bit Windows 7 (it's running in Bootcamp, if that matters) I ran the terminal as admin and this is what I'm typing:

copy /b love.exe+Invictus.exe Invictus.exe

Is that what I'm supposed to be doing? If it's not, are my directories wrong? And if they are wrong how do I find the right ones?

I also tried dropping both the love copy and the Invictus file in the same folder and that didn't work, although the directory's the same. Help please.

Is it it possible to just send the copy of LOVE along with the code so they can play it? Like, just drop the two files together, compress and send? I know it isn't an especially elegant solution, but I can at least use that to show my instructor/college teammates what I've done in Lua without redirecting them to the LOVE website.
Bullets are the beauty of the blistering sky
Bullets are the beauty and I don't know why
T-Bone
Inner party member

Re: lovefilesarehard.exe

Post by T-Bone »

What? What is this Invictus.exe? Aren't you working with a .love-file?
paritybit
Citizen

Post by paritybit »

thesmeagle wrote:copy /b love.exe+Invictus.exe Invictus.exe

Is that what I'm supposed to be doing? If it's not, are my directories wrong? And if they are wrong how do I find the right ones?
On the off chance that what you typed here is really what you tried, then you've got it a little wrong.

You'll need it to look like "copy /b love.exe+invictus.love invictus.exe". All of the file names you typed had an exe extension.
GungnirDev
Party member

Post by GungnirDev »

I apologize. It was 5 in the morning when I posted this.

copy /b love.exe+invictus.love invictus.exe

The filenames I typed were as you said, and as it was said on the wiki. However, the files are on my desktop, if that makes any difference. Also, I've since tried it with capital 'I's, since it said it was case sensitive, but I also tried it with lowercase 'I's. No dice.
felix24
Party member

Post by felix24 »

try changing the name of the exe output file.

eg: copy /b love.exe+invictus.love test.exe

i know it's a long shot, but i had a problem creating exes before using, copy /b love.exe+game.love game.exe. but when i changed the name of the exe in the command it worked fine. maybe it's a bit dodgy when both files have the same name? anyway it's late and i'm tired, so sorry if my ramblings make no sense :crazy:
Patalo
Prole

Post by Patalo »

thesmeagle wrote:I apologize. It was 5 in the morning when I posted this.

copy /b love.exe+invictus.love invictus.exe

The filenames I typed were as you said, and as it was said on the wiki. However, the files are on my desktop, if that makes any difference. Also, I've since tried it with capital 'I's, since it said it was case sensitive, but I also tried it with lowercase 'I's. No dice.
If files are on your Desktop, you have to go to desktop folder first by typing "cd Desktop".

And be sure both love.exe and invictus.love are on the desktop.
Current project : 3D fractal explorer DEFract ( viewtopic.php?t=9193)
Github : https://github.com/plule/ | Twitter : http://twitter.com/plule_
Puzzlem00n
Party member

Post by Puzzlem00n »

Patalo wrote:If files are on your Desktop, you have to go to desktop folder first by typing "cd Desktop".

And be sure both love.exe and invictus.love are on the desktop.
He's got it, all right, by default, the Command Prompt assumes all the files you're talking about are in the C drive, correct me if I'm wrong. But, rather than typing cd Desktop, I find it easier to find the folder my files are in and shift+right click it. Then, when the options for it drop down, you can press "Open Command Window Here" to open a command window there, eliminating the need to navigate through type. Hope that helps!
I LÖVE, therefore I am.
GungnirDev
Party member

Post by GungnirDev »

Puzzlemoon's technique worked and the file was created...but it wouldn't play. I just got Rubber Piggy. I tried deleting it and recreating it with love and Invictus and all of the DLL files but that didn't work either sadly.
Boolsheet
Inner party member

Post by Boolsheet »

Perhaps you're using the wrong archive format?

Let's try something different. Create a new directory and put a very simple main.lua (that draws a cricle or something) in it. Then package it up like already explained in here and try to run it. If you still get the piggy upload the combined .exe here and we look at what goes wrong. We don't need the dlls for this test.
Shallow indentations.
Roland_Yonaba
Inner party member

Post by Roland_Yonaba »

thesmeagle wrote:Puzzlemoon's technique worked and the file was created...but it wouldn't play. I just got Rubber Piggy. I tried deleting it and recreating it with love and Invictus and all of the DLL files but that didn't work either sadly.
Normally, it would work, if everything was done properly.
You can restart it following this procedure (for Windows):
  • First, make a *.love file of your game.
  • Make sure the *.love file is working, running it with Love.exe.
  • Then copy and paste the *.love file near love.exe and its dlls (DevIL, OpenAL32, SDL).
  • Then go to the parent folder, open a command prompt (right-shift°leftclick on the targetted folder, same as PuzzleMoon suggested)
  • type the command:

Code: Select all

copy /b invictus.love+love.exe invictus.exe
That should be fine.
Make sure to distribute Invictus.exe with Love's Dlls ( (DevIL, OpenAL32, SDL)
Hope this helps.

EDIT: ChuckNorris'ed by BoolSheet :awesome: