love.thread.newThread

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
leiradel
Party member

love.thread.newThread

Post by leiradel »

I've read the threads documentation and there are two ways of creating a thread:

Code: Select all

thread = love.thread.newThread( name, file ) -- create a thread that runs the file source code
thread = love.thread.newThread( name, data ) -- ???
The only Data subtype in the Wiki is SoundData, so I wonder what the second form for creating a thread does?

Could we have support for creating threads from a function, assuming the second form doesn't do it? I.e.:

local function im_running_free()
  -- do something cool while listening to Iron Maiden
end

local thread = love.thread.newThread( 'yeah', im_running_free )
The first form could be implemented in terms of it...

Cheers,

Andre
Robin
The Omniscient

Re: love.thread.newThread

Post by Robin »

leiradel wrote:I've read the threads documentation and there are two ways of creating a thread:

thread = love.thread.newThread( name, file ) -- create a thread that runs the file source code
thread = love.thread.newThread( name, data ) -- ???
The only Data subtype in the Wiki is SoundData, so I wonder what the second form for creating a thread does?
data is a FileData here, it was the original version of newThread. I think FileData is undocumented, but it has been successfully used in the past.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

The biggest con of running functions (except for it being hard :P) is that every thread is completely separated from the other thread, combining them in the same sourcefile would be a bit confusing to some/most.

Regarding data, well, in theory it could be any form of data, but most won't give you a useful result, love.filesystem.FileData will, however.
leiradel
Party member

Post by leiradel »

Robin wrote:data is a FileData here, it was the original version of newThread. I think FileData is undocumented, but it has been successfully used in the past.
Ah, it's not listed in the Wiki page for Data as a subtype...
bartbes wrote:The biggest con of running functions (except for it being hard ) is that every thread is completely separated from the other thread, combining them in the same sourcefile would be a bit confusing to some/most.
Threads get their own Lua state then, right?
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

leiradel wrote:Threads get their own Lua state then, right?
Yes.