Ravag3Ritual LFG need a programmer

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Re: Ravag3Ritual LFG need a programmer

Post by Taehl »

... All you did was describe how any generic RPG works, and say that players will start as a dot and then later get a stick-figure body. And posted two pictures of stick-figures that it seems like you Googled. The second one is pretty awful, to boot:

From canstockphoto.com

From vectorart.com
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

Taehl wrote:... All you did was describe how any generic RPG works, and say that players will start as a dot and then later get a stick-figure body.
Basically yeah. Apart from the mention of trainers, marketplaces, and regions, and the fact that you get region specific quests, that's a brief description of the generic base on most RPGs.

Now, your description would fit perfectly for any traditional "follow-the-others" type RPG, but I understand you want to make a "revolutionary" RPG. If that be the case, you'll want to add some unique concepts that no one else has though of (I know, I'm stating the obvious).
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

What BlackBulletIV and Taehl said, plus you might want to consider dropping or replacing the generic parts, as they could easily distract from anything that's truly revolutionary.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Ravag3
Prole

Post by Ravag3 »

I really do appreciate the constructive criticism...I do realize I am explaining your basic run of the mill mmorpg however I do have to start somewhere and to be honest I have no idea where to start. And since it doesn't seem like it will get any direct help I will be trying to teach myself a coding language in my spare time so I can start to develop this game myself...

Yes I did pretty much google those pictures to get the basic idea out there for someone to visualize...I have artists who I cannot speak to everyday so they need to be able to have a reference or a place to begin.

What language does this engine support...and what is recommended to learn?

Ive got no idea where to start except to make a large grid and start filling in the boxes with an environment....

how can I be revolutionary when everyone else has done it before...I thought I was on to something good.
Follow the ritual
http://ravag3.blogspot.com/
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

Ravag3 wrote:What language does this engine support...and what is recommended to learn?
Love is programmed using Lua, it's a really easy one for the most part. Programming in Lua is a good book, written by the creator of Lua.
Ravag3 wrote:how can I be revolutionary when everyone else has done it before...I thought I was on to something good.
You may be able to revolutionise a certain genre, but being revolutionary doesn't necessarily mean picking the biggest and toughest genre (MMORPG) and making the biggest game out of it, with a few twists. Revolutionary games don't have to be huge. Consider some of the first, pioneering, games that are still remembered decades later. They didn't change gaming because they were massive and huge, but because they invented totally new ideas which other games have followed.

If you're a big company, with tonnes of money, you can be somewhat revolutionary by pioneering new technology. But for your situation, the best way to be revolutionary is to think totally outside of the box. Come up with a simple idea that is totally out of the main stream, see if it works; if so, keep expanding it.

Once again, good luck.
dresb
Prole

Post by dresb »

What language does this engine support...and what is recommended to learn?
I say this with the best of intentions: you are going way over your head. If you don't know about programming (and from your blog I gather that you don't, html is not a programming language) you should learn about programming, forget languages and engines, get a book about programming basics.
Ive got no idea where to start except to make a large grid and start filling in the boxes with an environment....
This is the worst place for a non-programmer to start. It will take time and effort for you to get this into a fully functional game-like scenario and all you will have accomplished is the most generic and mundane aspect of your game. Is the world map really what makes the game unique?

Most games (including what you describe) can be seen as a collection of mini-games cleverly tied together for a seamless experience. Grab a point and click editor like Game Maker, narrow down the things you feel will make the game unique into separate mini-games, get people to try them out, refine that experience and acquire some artwork either paid or for free. Making something tangible will not only keep you motivated and give you invaluable experience but maybe even programmers jumping on board.

EDIT: Read this article if you haven't already. It's written by someone who knows wtf he is talking about, although its aimed at programmers, most of the advice applies to anyone intent on making a game.
appleide
Party member

Post by appleide »

I know for a fact that if you offer $18,000 to the owner of this mmorpg, he'll highly likely take your offer. It earns several hundred dollars a month.
SiENcE
Party member

Post by SiENcE »

I suggest you, to start with something smaller. I think it's a good advise.

If you cant code, take a Game Maker like RPG Maker, AGS (Adventure Game Studio), Unreal Engine or Unity 3D or maybe Little Big Planet. Make some small levels, games. Than start again making a bigger one.

First: Write a design document. -> http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3 ... ument_.php
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

Yep, smaller is better when starting out.
SiENcE wrote:...Unity 3D...
Just to clarify, Unity requires you to code using either UnityScript (form of JavaScript), C#, or Boo (similar to Python); that's if you want to get anywhere with it.
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Post by Taehl »

And the Unreal Engine uses Uscript for everything, which is also a copy of Javascript. I would rate the Unreal Engine as intermediate, though - it's pretty darn easy to use, considering how stunningly powerful it is, but it's not the easiest thing in the world to start with.
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.