Snayke - Out now! Version 1.1, soundtrack available

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
slime
Solid Snayke

Snayke - Out now! Version 1.1, soundtrack available

Post by slime »

Action-puzzler snakelike with interesting levels, cool block types, nice visuals, local (same-computer) multiplayer, and other things. Music by Anton Riehl.

WEBSITE!

Demo download (love file)

Buy here (Desura page)

Vote for Snayke on Steam Greenlight

OAE7f.png
OAE7f.png (101.29 KiB) Viewed 2265 times
2tlY1.png
2tlY1.png (103.92 KiB) Viewed 2265 times
8tqmL.png
8tqmL.png (118.12 KiB) Viewed 2265 times
VR1Z6.png
VR1Z6.png (119.1 KiB) Viewed 2265 times

Last edited by slime on Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:15 am, edited 72 times in total.
SoggyWaffles
Citizen

Re: wormbearpig - Snake clone

Post by SoggyWaffles »

Neat, looks very good. I like the 'tail' blocks fading to the back ground color. Perhaps the backgrounds can change when you hit some sort of score milestone.
"Beneath the clouds lives the Earth-Mother from whom is derived the Water of Life, who at her bosom feeds plants, animals and men." ~Larousse
thelinx
The Strongest

Post by thelinx »

Very good looking! Like SoggyWaffles said, it'd probably be neat if the background was changing at some kind of interval.
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

Love this. I'm a massive NIN geek though.... (obviously -- look at my avatar). But I agree, the screenshots kinda gave the impression that the backgrounds would gently sweep in colours or something. I imagine that would look fantastic.

My one criticism is that the snake moves a little to fast for me, but then, it's a part of the challenge. Nice work man! :)
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

Very nice! The music is nice, it fits well with the background I reckon. As Lafolie said, it's a bit fast for me, but ah well.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

I'll see about making slow/medium/fast speeds. The problem with a slower speed though is that it looks pretty 'choppy', not sure how to fix that.

The next version will probably make the background change a bit every 100 score or so. A constantly changing background would be amazing, but I don't quite know how to go about doing that without murdering framerates yet. :P
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

slime wrote:I'll see about making slow/medium/fast speeds. The problem with a slower speed though is that it looks pretty 'choppy', not sure how to fix that.
You could make it so that the snake overlaps half or even a quarter of a square for a small period of time.
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

How is the background being rendered at current? I'm too lazy to look at the code right now, but I checked out the project folder, it seems that you are creating a composite imagedata object out of tiles or something?
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

It draws the tile grid to a framebuffer while setting the current colour using various functions that take the x/y positions of the tiles. When it transitions between different backgrounds it first draws the new background to a different framebuffer with 0 alpha and then slowly fades it in while fading the old one out.

I tried it without framebuffers yesterday and got about 11 fps. o.O
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

You could create small collection backgrounds and seamlessly scroll/fade them. Would that work?