LÖVE Build Utility

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
DCamer
Prole

LÖVE Build Utility

Post by DCamer »

Hi everyone!
I want to present a program created by me - build utility for LÖVE. Works only on Windows XP and above.

This program works as follows:
  1. Specify the folder with your game.
  2. Specify the path to LOVE 2D Engine (if you want to create an executable file of the game).
  3. Specify the name of the future .love file.
  4. Specify the name of the future executable file (in case you want to create an executable file of the game).
  5. Choose the compression ratio (recommended Fastest).
  6. Press «Pack only» (if you just want to pack in .love file), or «Pack and build» (if you want to pack in .love file and create an executable file), or the «Build» (if you just want to create an executable file).
  7. After that, you get a .love file either .exe file, or both, depending on what you press in the sixth step.
The program also includes multi-language interface is available. Together with the program provided the following languages:
  • Russian
  • English
  • German
The program is available in two versions, the installer and portable. If you encounter an error, either if you want to add your language in the program, please leave your posts in this topic, I will answer all your questions, and try to solve problems, if any.
Tesselode
Party member

Re: LÖVE Build Utility

Post by Tesselode »

Haven't tested it yet, but this needs to be preserved somehow. This should be in the wiki somewhere.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

Frankly, it would be pretty neat if binaries like these were included in each OS's build of LOVE.
And if they would build packages, not just for your current OS, but for OSX (.app) and Windows (.exe with .dll's in .zip) and binaries for Linux.

One feature to add to this specific version would be icon replacement.
DCamer
Prole

Post by DCamer »

TechnoCat wrote:One feature to add to this specific version would be icon replacement.
You mean the icon of the program or game? :)
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

DCamer wrote:
TechnoCat wrote:One feature to add to this specific version would be icon replacement.
You mean the icon of the program or game? :)
The exe icon.
Trappingnoobs
Citizen

Post by Trappingnoobs »

Wouldn't this take a significantly longer time than just programming a batch file to do it for you?

For example, mine:

Code: Select all

@echo off
cd C:\Users\Ashley\Desktop

md "GameRelease"
copy /b LuaCopyStuff\Love.exe+Delete.love Game.exe 

copy LuaCopyStuff\DevIL.dll GameRelease
copy LuaCopyStuff\OpenAL32.dll GameRelease
copy LuaCopyStuff\SDL.dll GameRelease

move Game.exe GameRelease

echo Completed process.

pause
And it does it all for me in about half a second at most. I can see myself taking at LEAST twenty seconds to fill in the file dialogs and whatnot.

I guess it helps the people who don't want to bother to learn batch, though, and it looks well made.

Edit

Wait, does it save the directories you chose? If so, I take back any criticism about it taking longer, because I can see batch being a pain, but I don't think this would be..

Edit2

Lolwut? Says there's not enough space.. I have 75 GB available...
DCamer
Prole

Post by DCamer »

Regarding the batch file: This version is not final, will soon be added the additional fields in which there is a copy/move custom files.
Trappingnoobs wrote:Wait, does it save the directories you chose?
This will be fixed in next version. Will be released tomorrow or day after tomorrow.
Trappingnoobs wrote:Lolwut? Says there's not enough space.. I have 75 GB available...
When you select a directory game / love, you once have clicked the button Select? If so, then double-click. (Will be fixed in next version)
Last edited by DCamer on Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Trappingnoobs
Citizen

Post by Trappingnoobs »

DCamer wrote:Regarding the batch file: This version is not final, will soon be added the additional fields in which there is a copy/move custom files.
Trappingnoobs wrote:Wait, does it save the directories you chose?
This will be fixed in next version. Will be released tomorrow or day after tomorrow.
Trappingnoobs wrote:Lolwut? Says there's not enough space.. I have 75 GB available...
When you select a directory game / love, you once have clicked the button Select? If so, then double-click. (Will be fixed in next version)
I have two problems and two suggestions:

Problems:

-Clicking "Pack" gives me some yes/no dialog written in Russian (I think it's russian, anyway).
-Clicking yes on the russian dialog or pack and build tells me there's "Not enough storage available to complete this operation". (It's not selecting from the dialog that gives me that error.) It builds perfectly fine; but doesn't pack.

Suggestions:

-Save paths you selected to the ini file (Is it .NET? If so, how'd you read/write to an ini file? I'd love to do that, I hate XML so much.)
-Allow you to select path to place completed files in
DCamer
Prole

Post by DCamer »

Trappingnoobs wrote:tells me there's "Not enough storage available to complete this operation".
Perhaps, love file already exists.
Trappingnoobs
Citizen

Post by Trappingnoobs »

The love file is Ok, but it doesn't make the exe file.