Facilitated Escape (Originally Created for LD21)

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Re: Facilitated Escape (Originally Created for LD21)

Post by T-Bone »

BlackBulletIV wrote:Thanks for the feedback!

I'm still wondering whether it's too hard; not many people are able to over 1000m in a few tries (my highscore is above 12700m, but I've definitely played it over a 1000 times).
Jasoco wrote:I see no problems with the colors of the background objects.
That's because I've already adjusted them.
Jasoco wrote:I just think the ship moves left and right too fast too soon. It's like VVVVVV where he moves quickly at the slightest tap.
I can understand that; it's just that if it were much slower you wouldn't be able to pull off large curves, which look really cool. I'll experiment a bit with slower speeds, but I'm not sure if I can take it down much more.
As for speeds, you could do a Touhou and have a button that slows you down (or speeds you up).
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Post by nevon »

Looks good. I got about 3400 meters. I thought the difficulty was about right. Most of the time, I died because I tried to turn too quickly, and ran into the side of an object.
thelinx
The Strongest

Post by thelinx »

Neat.
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

Thanks for the feedback guys!
T-Bone wrote:As for speeds, you could do a Touhou and have a button that slows you down (or speeds you up).
I had that idea; I may implement it sometime soon.

Anyway, 1.0 has been released!
Rad3k
Citizen

Post by Rad3k »

BlackBulletIV wrote:
Jasoco wrote:I just think the ship moves left and right too fast too soon. It's like VVVVVV where he moves quickly at the slightest tap.
I can understand that; it's just that if it were much slower you wouldn't be able to pull off large curves, which look really cool. I'll experiment a bit with slower speeds, but I'm not sure if I can take it down much more.
Maybe you can make the movement smoother by introducing acceleration - a bit like the paddles in my variation of Pong? The code I used for velocity:

Code: Select all

local brake = true

if thrust ~= 0 then
	local current_vel = thrust > 0 and self.vy or -self.vy
	if current_vel < max_speed then
		self.vy = self.vy + dt * (thrust > 0 and accel or -accel)
		if current_vel >= 0 then brake = false end
	end
end

if brake then
	self.vy = self.vy * (brake_strength + 1) ^ -dt
end
"thrust" was -1 if player pressed 'up', or 1 if 'down', and 0 otherwise. "accel", "max_speed" and "brake_strength" are constants.
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

Rad3k wrote:
BlackBulletIV wrote:
Maybe you can make the movement smoother by introducing acceleration - a bit like the paddles in my variation of Pong? The code I used for velocity:

Code: Select all

local brake = true

if thrust ~= 0 then
	local current_vel = thrust > 0 and self.vy or -self.vy
	if current_vel < max_speed then
		self.vy = self.vy + dt * (thrust > 0 and accel or -accel)
		if current_vel >= 0 then brake = false end
	end
end

if brake then
	self.vy = self.vy * (brake_strength + 1) ^ -dt
end
"thrust" was -1 if player pressed 'up', or 1 if 'down', and 0 otherwise. "accel", "max_speed" and "brake_strength" are constants.
Yeah, that's an option too. I'm not sure about it though; I might experiment with it when I get some time.