Panicky Commuter

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
GijsB
Party member

Re: Panicky Commuter

Post by GijsB »

then why they dont teach radians to us?!
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

They do.. perhaps you haven't been taught them yet, but that doesn't mean it never is.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Yeah. If I recall correctly, you were pretty young...? ;)
Help us help you: attach a .love.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

You don't really need radians until you start to derive stuff. If you derive a sine or cosine function, you really need to have it in radians or things get messy real fast :neko:
GijsB
Party member

Post by GijsB »

T-Bone wrote:You don't really need radians until you start to derive stuff. If you derive a sine or cosine function, you really need to have it in radians or things get messy real fast :neko:

not really...
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

In radians:
sin'(x) = cos(x)
In degrees:
sin'(180*x/pi) =180/pi*cos(180*x/pi)
etc.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Inny
Party member

Post by Inny »

I probably didn't need to write my own sine function, I basically did it as an alternate to a kind of proper memoization.

The title screen design mimics the effect of Demoscene style hacks on really old commodore64/atari/PC games. I probably should have done a marquee instead of the credits screen for my shoutouts. Anyway, I tried also mimicking their blocky estimated sinewaves for the game name, but the effect isn't very apparent, and I didn't feel like ripping that code out.

So yeah, don't reuse that portion of the code. :D

Also, I'll try getting out that 1.2 update to remove the scrolling background's tile tearing later tonight, if I don't get sucked up into playing minecraft.
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

Nice game! Pretty hard though. An easy mode would be cool; personally, "local" suits me ("express" is just insane). It would also be nice to have some music that is longer, so that it doesn't loop so many times.

EDIT: 1000 posts! :D
Inny
Party member

Post by Inny »

I think this version fixes the tearing issue, but I wasn't able to test it on another box, so if someone here can test it for me and it works, then I'll edit the original post. I also tweaked the difficulties again, so now Local is easier, and Shuttle is a new mode between Local and Express, and I added support for resizing the window via the 1-8 keys like in In Your Face City Trains.

https://github.com/downloads/inmatarian ... rV1-2.love
Rad3k
Citizen

Post by Rad3k »

Fun little game :) I like this 8-bit retro style.

One thing that surprised me is that these vertical walls that appear regularly at the upper side are not obstacles. I realised this only after accidentally running into one of them once (and nothing bad happened). They seem to extend a little too far to blend with the rest of background, hence my confusion.

Also, why credits scroll downwards? If that's just another of your retro'ish emulations then no problem, it just looks a little awkward. And they scroll a bit too fast to be easy to read.

This "black lines on the background" problem seems to be fixed for me too.