Shooter - My "First" Game

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
master both
Party member

Shooter - My "First" Game

Post by master both »

Hi!
Well... It's not my first game, but my first "completed" game. It's an action sidescroller that I did in my free time :)

Anyway here is a screenshot:

enjoy!
Attachments
game.love
(183.73 KiB) Downloaded 302 times
Lafolie
Inner party member

Re: Shooter - My "First" Game

Post by Lafolie »

This is really cool.

Unfortunately I'm inept at keyboard controls, so I doubt I'll be able to finish it (this game is hard, and rightfully so) but I will try. I beat the second boss and died shortly after. Love it so far, it just needs some sound. Oh, and I think it would be really nice to get some health for beating a boss - not too much, but just enough to keep you going for a while.
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
master both
Party member

Post by master both »

Lafolie wrote:This is really cool.

Unfortunately I'm inept at keyboard controls, so I doubt I'll be able to finish it (this game is hard, and rightfully so) but I will try. I beat the second boss and died shortly after. Love it so far, it just needs some sound. Oh, and I think it would be really nice to get some health for beating a boss - not too much, but just enough to keep you going for a while.
Thanks!
You were really close to finish it, there are only three bosses. About the difficulty, maybe I play it too much, because It's really easy for me, I will try to make it easier.
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

It's mainly ineptitude on my part (I prefer to use a controller where appropriate). The 'floaty' physics make the platforming tough, and I think that works well for this game as the platforming is a major part of the challenge. I really liked the difference between the weapons in that they get harder to use in some way but more effective when used right.

So I wouldn't go ahead and tone down the difficulty too much, it should be challenging. Perhaps making hearts give a little more health or something would be good.
Last edited by Lafolie on Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
baconhawka7x
Party member

Post by baconhawka7x »

This is awesome! The movement feels really nice, and the art gives the game a really nice atmosphere.
Love it.
master both
Party member

Post by master both »

Ok, thanks for the feedback, I will follow your suggestions :)
baconhawka7x wrote:This is awesome! The movement feels really nice, and the art gives the game a really nice atmosphere.
Love it.
Thanks!
micha
Inner party member

Post by micha »

Great game. Congratulations for finishing it.

The most important part: The game is fun. I am a metroid fan and this game has some of its elements: Discover and become more powerful.
I also like that the enemies move in a predefined manner. That way one can "play" with them. Also the jumping ability of the enemies is cool, because the can follow the player quiet far through the level.

In my opinion you should leave away the jumping puzzles or at least make them much easier. The game is about exploration and shooting and not so much about dexterity. So in my opinion you should at least leave away the one-tile-wide platforms. But that is, of course, up to you.

Technically the game is also done very well. The movement is smooth and the collision detection solid. I also like the consistent pixel-look. Good work!
pauljessup
Party member

Post by pauljessup »

This game is awesome. The art is cool and low-fi, I love the p-scrolling trees, and HELL it is FUN.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

I liked it. Here are some bits I didn't like:
  • The character's "Floatyness" was a bit unexpected. It would have worked better thematically if the player was a ghost, a cloud or some sort of jetpack man.
  • The birds that come from outside of the screen and throw you to the spiked bottom on the first level are a bit too much. Either remove the birds from there, or remove most of the spikes so falling doesn't almost certainly kill you. Getting killed this way feels unfair; having to go up the platforming bits again is punishment enough.
  • I found a bug on the first boss: if you stand next to the door on the right, and he runs into you, you can get teleported to the other side of the door, at which point you are trapped between two doors. (Easy fix: remove the other 2 doors, so you can continue playing even if you didn't kill the boss - like a cheater)
  • I didn't find out that I could shoot up or down until very late in the game. Some sort of environmental hint (i.e. boxes in the ground that you can only shoot from up) would have been nice.
  • Looking up/down should scroll the camera up/down a little bit. Otherwise it feels unfinished.
When I write def I mean function.
R-BG
Prole

Post by R-BG »

Very fun game, like it.

Two things that I would do:
- Add sound.
- Make the camera go faster than the player. Right now it's always behind, so you have to slow down sometimes. Also leaping down is very scary.

What I like most about it:
- Smooth gameplay. Everything seems to make sense. Unfortunately you don't see this a lot in indie games.
- The graphics work well together (although I'm not a big fan of pixelated stuff)

My personal opinion on the difficulty: It's perfect. Maybe it's because I'm the right audience, but making it easier could make it boring. If anything, make it harder!