DuckDuckGo !bang

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
BozoDel
Party member

DuckDuckGo !bang

Post by BozoDel »

Did you guys know that DuckDuckGo has a !love bang? We can search the wiki straight from the address bar!
Robin
The Omniscient

Re: DuckDuckGo !bang

Post by Robin »

I did not know that! That makes things slightly easier. (Too bad it only does search and doesn't go to the page if there's an exact match like it does for Wikipedia.)
Help us help you: attach a .love.
josefnpat
Inner party member

Post by josefnpat »

Robin wrote:Too bad it only does search and doesn't go to the page if there's an exact match like it does for Wikipedia.
As soon as I tried

Code: Select all

!love love.graphics.print
I felt this way.
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

I submitted a request for change, hopefully it'll be better soon!

EDIT: there's also a !love2d, which does do the right thing, but screw that.
Plu
Inner party member

Post by Plu »

That looks like a pretty cool search engine :D I'm going to use that for a while, see how well it works.
DaedalusYoung
Party member

Post by DaedalusYoung »

I don't get it, what's it for? So you can just abbreviate search engines? Opera has done that for like 10 years already, and it's also a standard option in Chrome, I don't see what this website does.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

DaedalusYoung wrote:I don't get it, what's it for? So you can just abbreviate search engines? Opera has done that for like 10 years already, and it's also a standard option in Chrome, I don't see what this website does.
Well, DuckDuckGo is a search engine with several advantages, of which these are the most important IMO:
  1. You search history is sensitive information, that usually is shared with a lot of companies (especially in the ad business). DDG doesn't store that information doesn't share it with anyone else, and doesn't track you in any other way.
  2. Instant answers. You can get a lot of information without having to click though to other websites: calculations, unit or currency conversions, summaries from Wikipedia, answers from StackOverflow, disambiguating search terms with multiple meanings, etc. Google has been trying to copy this feature lately, with limited success I would say.
  3. !bangs. This is allows you to search using specialized search engines, which is often where you end up anyway. The difference between using DDG and browser keywords is that the former has far, far more sites you can use, without having to set up anything.
DDG is made by a small company, but a lot of it is open source and contributed to by users, so its functionality is continually growing.

I have my Firefox and Chrome location bars setup so that anything that isn't a URL is treated as a DDG search query.
BozoDel
Party member

Post by BozoDel »

DaedalusYoung wrote:I don't get it, what's it for? So you can just abbreviate search engines? Opera has done that for like 10 years already, and it's also a standard option in Chrome, I don't see what this website does.
Really? I guess they don't publicize it much then, cause I used to use those browsers and didn't know that (unless we're talking about different things here).

I switched to DDG mostly because I didn't like a lot of things Google (the company) was doing, but I still use Google often. I have the impression that Google is usually better, but a couple of times found DDG to be better (though it's really unfair to compare, since I only use Google when DDG fails). Also Google has that hits counter which is useful for terminology research.

The one thing I really miss is that Mozilla addon that hides websites I don't like when using Google search.
Plu
Inner party member

Post by Plu »

The one thing I really miss is that Mozilla addon that hides websites I don't like when using Google search.
This sounds intriguing. Tell me more? :D
BozoDel
Party member

Post by BozoDel »

Plu wrote:This sounds intriguing. Tell me more? :D
Of course, I should have posted it already. Here it is.