Attributing love2d in game

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Skeletonxf
Citizen

Attributing love2d in game

Post by Skeletonxf »

I'm working on my credits menu for a game and I'm wondering how exactly is the best way to follow the licenses of love2d and the open source libraries I've used. Currently I've got the game linking to the website of each source on a user click but I'm not sure this is enough to follow the conditions of the ZLIB and MIT licenses. Do I absolutely have to open up a popup window with the entire license text available to read or does linking to the source's main site/github page where the license can easily be found from count as enough?

I'd rather not have to code up a popup box that scrolls to accommodate the length of this: https://bitbucket.org/rude/love/src/eaf ... ew-default
zorg
Party member

Re: Attributing love2d in game

Post by zorg »

I read before that it's not exactly the norm to detail the used middleware/libs in your credits roll that much... and most AAA games i've played mostly just showed their non-interactable icons (Like DOOM for example, shows what stuff they used with icons before the game starts)

That said, not a lawyer, but i was under the assumption that it's enough to:
- Have the license file next to the lib
And it's nice to:
- Mention them in-game.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
Skeletonxf
Citizen

Post by Skeletonxf »

I've done both so far but my source code for my game isn't going to be open source and I'm focused on the mobile version so I don't know if hiding the license files within an apk file is good enough either.
palmettos
Prole

Post by palmettos »

You only need to include the license files in your distribution. APKs are just ZIP archives, so it's not like you're trying to obfuscate anything by putting it in the APK.