[Library] OpenMPT (fine-grained mod-music playing)

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
davidkonsumer
Prole

[Library] OpenMPT (fine-grained mod-music playing)

Post by davidkonsumer »

I wanted more control over mod playing (like VU, song info, etc) so I made this. You will need libopenmpt installed on your system (README has instructions for mac & linux.)
Attachments
demo.love
demo love file, that shows VU meters & song-info, if you have libopenmpt installed.
(65.92 KiB) Downloaded 290 times
Last edited by davidkonsumer on Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zorg
Party member

Re: OpenMPT (fine-grained mod-music playing)

Post by zorg »

Have you tried this on windows? I wonder what extra steps are needed for it to work; the dll, for one, could probably be copied from the windows build to the projects' save folder.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
davidkonsumer
Prole

Re: [Library] OpenMPT (fine-grained mod-music playing)

Post by davidkonsumer »

I haven't tested on Windows (only OSX and Linux, which I include instructions for installing libopenmpt, in the README.) I think you are probably right, though. It seems like with other FFI things, the DLL can be in a global path, in the love-file, or in the save-folder. I'm happy to share a windows pre-compiled package, if you want to set it up & test it out. The lib came from here. OpenMPT (the tracker) is a windows-only tracker, but they make their great lib available for everyone, so there might be an easy way to find the pre-compiled DLL and include it.

My original goal was to make a mod-editor with it, in love, that supports editing with joystick & small screen (for a pi in a gameboy case) but I realized that the actual edit part would take more time than I have. The lib has great facilities for playing & getting info about mods of all types, but no edit functionality, so I think it might be a bit of work to add support for that.

I have seen your rad LoveTracker. Maybe this could help support more file-formats.
davidkonsumer
Prole

Re: [Library] OpenMPT (fine-grained mod-music playing)

Post by davidkonsumer »

Here is a (badly captured on computer-mic) screen-recording, if anyone wants to see the demo without installing anything:

https://youtu.be/4R6dyj9J1F4

The VUs are broken down by mod-track, so you can see what each track is playing.