Navi - a message library (6/11 demo)

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
litearc
Citizen

Re: A message system

Post by litearc »

Okay, time to shamelessly bump my own topic...

I just finished adding the last of the features I had planned, and am now writing a readme file on how to use the library. The final version should be out in a few days. Hopefully there are no bugs - I'll have to do some more testing on that, but once it seems everything's okay, I'll put it up in the Libraries section in the wiki.

I added an option to have the face on the right hand side. But much more cool is: now you can have more options than the number of rows in the message box (if you set a fixed number of rows). Only a certain number of choices will be displayed at once, but you'll be able to scroll through them (see screenshot).
Attachments
choices menu with scrollbar
choices menu with scrollbar
choices.png (95.69 KiB) Viewed 4002 times
Roland_Yonaba
Inner party member

Post by Roland_Yonaba »

That is awesome! can't wait to try it...!
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

It looks nice litearc even that some things beautiful aren't really part of message system I think. :D
litearc wrote:The final version should be out in a few days. Hopefully there are no bugs
It won't be final version. No bugs? You wish. I understand that you only want to release it when you think it's ready but experience told me that the more we keep a project from foreign eyes more the project grow with errors and things we don't notice or can't notice (other OS, other machines, etc). So don't expect it release it flawless.
It will be a pleasure then test in a few days (I hope) your promising message sytem. BTW do that have a name?
litearc
Citizen

Post by litearc »

@coffee: Haha, yea, you're probably right. The reason for the background is to I could see more clearly if the message box looked the way I wanted - it's hard to tell with a solid black background. And yes, past experience also tells me that people will find a bunch of bugs after I release it.

Does this have a name? I was thinking of calling it 'Messenger', but didn't put too much thought into it. Does anyone have any ideas? I suck at coming up with good names.
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

litearc wrote: Does this have a name? I was thinking of calling it 'Messenger', but didn't put too much thought into it. Does anyone have any ideas? I suck at coming up with good names.
Well since this deals with messages and it's done for LÖVE you could joke around with LÖVE Letter, LÖVE Messenger, Cüpid or something like that.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Might I suggest AMS, short for "A Message System"? I really like the vagueness that conveys.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

coffee wrote:
litearc wrote: Does this have a name? I was thinking of calling it 'Messenger', but didn't put too much thought into it. Does anyone have any ideas? I suck at coming up with good names.
Well since this deals with messages and it's done for LÖVE you could joke around with LÖVE Letter, LÖVE Messenger, Cüpid or something like that.
I like all of coffee's suggestions for names.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

Allow me to propose Mercury.

As in Mercury, messenger of the gods.

Not only it is a very cool name. It also has its own cool unicode symbol: ☿

There is also this:

I guess you could also use Hermes, which is the greek analogous. In general I prefer greek god names to roman ones, but with Mercury I would make an exception.
Last edited by kikito on Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When I write def I mean function.
litearc
Citizen

Post by litearc »

Okay! Not to ignore your suggestions, but I used them to brainstorm up my own idea. I'm thinking of calling this 'Navi' (yes, the little fairy from Zelda), mainly because I associate her with messages and I don't really like Roman or Greek stuff.

I'm also thinking of using the MIT license - I don't really care that much, but it seemed to do more or less what I want. Finally, I have NOT forgotten about the github, which I said I was going to put up a while ago. I really will put it up in a few days.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »