[FINISHED] Wake Up Call

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
katherina
Prole

Re: [WIP] Wake up call

Post by katherina »

I love these types of games as it ensures that my brain get enough exercise and keep it sharp. I like the word association but i prefer the maze puzzles, it makes one shake her head in frustration but solving it is rewarding. The sounds are okay but it really doesn't peak my interest. Intro is also great as what Kezac said.

the file is big and it is still half way done as you said? :cry:

but am looking forward to finish the game though. :awesome:
I want my designer diamond rings like now, if you may please...
MZ|One
Citizen

Post by MZ|One »

I'll try to look for an infinite loop (that would correspond to the lock) - I'll see what I can do.
ishkabible wrote:I just get the standard pig and hearts screen :/
Does anyone know what can cause that?

As for the size - I know that 40 MB can seem a little too much, but I just prefer to implement the ideas that I think are the best even when it means a little larger installation. Some puzzles as well as the intro simply need quite some resources and that's where the size comes from. I hope it's not that much of a problem in the end, and that it won't discourage you from playing the game!

EDIT (I didn't see your post when I wrote my reply, katherina): Thanks a lot! Funny how different people like different puzzles, but that's to be expected, I think. I don't think the installation is going to be much larger with the rest of the puzzles; most of the size-heavy puzzles (and the intro) is fortunately in this version already. Thanks again for the feedback!
the_leg
Prole

Post by the_leg »

In Love's C++ code, in openal/Source.cpp Line 163:

Code: Select all

ALint processed;
Since the setter of this variable, an OpenAL function, can error out, processed needs to have a default value of 0:

Code: Select all

ALint processed = 0;
That resovled the hang for me in 0.80 (Ubuntu 12.04 x86-32).

On the game - I like it very much. I especially like how you set the mood of the game with the audio and images. Nicely done. You could convert your png's to jpeg's to save some disk space.
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

the_leg wrote:You could convert your png's to jpeg's to save some disk space.
And lose quality and transparency
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
MZ|One
Citizen

Post by MZ|One »

the_leg: Thank you very much, I really appreciate that you've spent your time to track that down. Especially since I couldn't do too much about an Ubuntu problem without Ubuntu.. So how does this work, is there a bug report system that this should be submitted to, or can someone make the change in the LOVE source somewhere? Thank you very much for the positive feedback as well!

About the PNG/JPEG - Nixola pretty much said it. It is true, however, that most huge images are some kind of backgrounds without a need for transparency, so in these cases, it is worth a try. In the end, I think I'll decide depending on the quality loss.
the_leg
Prole

Post by the_leg »

You're welcome. At the top of this page is an 'Issue Tracker' button. Click that, register and then you can submit reports. I submitted this issue for you here.

Regarding image compression formats, I used ImageMagick to convert the intro pngs to jpg's. I used a quality factor of 92 (100 is the highest quality) with 'convert' from ImageMagick. The total size was 18Mb for the pngs and 3.1Mb for the jpgs. I honestly can't see how any human would be able to tell the difference in quality for that set of images - especially given how fast those images are shown.
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

Remember that if you have artwork close to monocromatic / tones /or a reduced pallete and you want preserve transparency still reducing size you could try instead convert/adapt your normal PNG to PNG8 (it's like a better GIF).
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

I can confirm the_leg's fix works, and finally having finished this, it's awesome. I really liked it.
MZ|One
Citizen

Post by MZ|One »

I've converted the PNGs to JPEGs where possible and it shrinked the whole file to some 7 MB .) The quality difference is imperceptible. Good advice. The OP now links to the new version, which also includes some minor changes (like conf.lua).

Thanks for submitting the OpenAL issue! And also thanks to you bartbes, I'm happy to hear you like it..

I've started to work on the sound and the rest. I'll be kinda moving the next few days, so I won't have that much time, but other than that, I want to work on this and have a new version soon. I'll be sure to let you know when it will be up. Thanks again to everyone for the nice feedback!
MZ|One
Citizen

Post by MZ|One »

--== FINISHED == --

OK, it's done! I have added some new scenes to the end, worked on the audio and then I polished the visuals and the mechanisms. You can download the new version from the OP or here's the link as well.

I would very much like to know what you think! I still haven't released this version publicly, because I would like to hear some feedback first, handle the bugs or other problems etc. - so I really would like to hear any comments/suggestions/trouble that you might have.

The size is about 20 MB now. Pretty much all the textures/sprites that can do without transparency are in JPEGs, but since I've added the transparent decals that need to be in PNGs and also several minutes of ambient sound, this all accounts to about 20 MB in the end, which I hope is still reasonable.

Image Image