ChatGPT proposes and creates a game in love2d ( artificial intelligence scares me )

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
pgimeno
Party member

Re: ChatGPT proposes and creates a game in love2d ( artificial intelligence scares me )

Post by pgimeno »

glitchapp wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:33 pm can a simple shader that renders a blue noise dithering effect be copyrighted?
I have no idea if that's possible and where is the limit of what it can be copyrighted but it seems like a too simple task to be copyrighted, correct me if I'm wrong.
I don't know. I know that there was an attempt by Associated Press, a news agency, to define "fair use" as "4 words or less" when quoting from their news, and anything above that they would consider as copyrighted material subject to royalties. https://www.techdirt.com/2008/06/17/ass ... sts-12-50/

Not sure if that was ever tried in court. In Spain there is no such thing as "fair use"; I know there are exceptions like the right to parody and others, but I'm not sure there's a definition of what length is copyrightable.
glitchapp
Party member

Re: ChatGPT proposes and creates a game in love2d ( artificial intelligence scares me )

Post by glitchapp »

I see... well if someone claims ownership of a shader with 19 lines of code which math and content is absolutely generic and has nothing special on it I will have to take the shader out... not a big lose anyway... I mean is cool but not so cool that it would make the project meaningless...
ivan
Party member

Post by ivan »

@glitchapp You are missing the big point, namely that we want to support the legit, open source projects. That is why it is important to avoid code which is suspicious in origin.
glitchapp
Party member

Post by glitchapp »

ivan wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:54 pm @glitchapp You are missing the big point, namely that we want to support the legit, open source projects. That is why it is important to avoid code which is suspicious in origin.
I'm not missing the point, I understand perfectly what you mean, I simply disagree with the claim that a generic small code which generates something completely simple like a noise could and should be copyrighted. We are not talking about an O.S. No offenses but It sounds utterly ridiculous to me.

I also support legit open source code, but real big code with meaning and not little things like that that anyone could write in less than a minute and which alone and without a real program using it means nothing.

By the way, I stated at the top of the file that it was written by chatGPT so that people can see for what kind of small problems can chatGPT be useful and also so that the human written code and non human written code are clearly differentiated, but I don't think you could ever find out if a human has written a small fragment of code like this or not.

Till now, what chatGPT is capable of doing is very limited and it only solve small specific problems, problems that are simple enough you can solve by yourself if you spend the time for it, but nothing really complex without a human glueing the fragments of code to produce something really meaningful. This is probably going to change in a near future given the speed of evolution of this new techologies, but that time in which an A.I. can write an O.S. has not arrived yet.
ivan
Party member

Post by ivan »

It doesn't work that way. For example, the Nike logo is really simple and anybody can reproduce it; nevertheless is is still subject to copyright and trademark laws.
ChatGPT does not state its sources or provide attribution. The ChatGPT devs have plenty of funding, so this sort of feature should be easily achievable for them. I suspect that the funding is probably going toward publishing press releases. The point is: do not use ChatGPT, support the good and responsible devs instead.
glitchapp
Party member

Post by glitchapp »

ivan wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:21 am It doesn't work that way. For example, the Nike logo is really simple and anybody can reproduce it; nevertheless is is still subject to copyright and trademark laws.
ChatGPT does not state its sources or provide attribution. The ChatGPT devs have plenty of funding, so this sort of feature should be easily achievable for them. I suspect that the funding is probably going toward publishing press releases. The point is: do not use ChatGPT, support the good and responsible devs instead.
It is indeed working: I published the code and I'm not in a court or in jail (it would be laughable to be in a court for a noise shader).
I agree that it is absolutely technically possible to make an A.I. provide its sources and it should be like that, but that's not the case and not using it won't change anything.
Again, those are false associations: you use chatGPT because you are an irresponsible dev who support evil greedy corporations and want to destroy open source software and communities. It's simply not true. A.I. solve small generic problems and that it is completely compatible with supporting and creating open source software and providing proper credits and licenses.
Last edited by glitchapp on Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

What if i like how the code generated by ChatGPT looks? what if i look at a "legitimate FOSS developer"'s library and i implement the same functionality my own way? What if that is indistinguishable from what ChatGPT shat out to me? Do i care that people use it as a better alternative to a search engine, even if it "digested" and spat out my own code?

Also, just to give a bit of perspective; I welcome anyone to go over the patent offices of all countries and read through potentially millions of IT/CS related patterns so that they can avoid anything that they might get sued for due to patent infringement.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
ivan
Party member

Post by ivan »

@glitchapp Sure, you may get sued if you copy paste code and then claim that you came up with it. The ChatGPT devs simply do not care about citing sources so I do not support them.

@zorg The problem with ChatGPT is that it presents its output as if it came up with it entirely on its own.
glitchapp
Party member

Post by glitchapp »

ivan wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:05 am @glitchapp Sure, you may get sued if you copy paste code and then claim that you came up with it. The ChatGPT devs simply do not care about citing sources so I do not support them.
I do not claim that I write it and that's why it's clearly stated at the top of the file. When I use a tool, I support the project on which I'm using it by solving problems that it helps me solve, any other association is made up.
ivan wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:05 am @zorg The problem with ChatGPT is that it presents its output as if it came up with it entirely on its own.
The same problem happens to humans
ivan
Party member

Post by ivan »

No, it doesn't work that way.
You can't just claim: "my code was produced by ChatGPT" or "this snippet of code is from a search result on Google".
You have to reference the original author and check the associated source code license.