Storylets and Love2d

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
pauljessup
Party member

Re: Storylets and Love2d

Post by pauljessup »

Oh that's really interesting! A fragment of objects! I like that a lot. I can see a lot of possibilities, but it would also cut down on a ton of writing/rewriting for various changes in variables. That is a cool idea!
tourgen
Citizen

Post by tourgen »

pauljessup wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:32 pm Thanks for wishing me luck! It should be on the Nintendo Switch soonish, so that's exciting.

As for the method I'm using...it actually wasn't the first method I used for something like this. Back with the game I made last year (Bad Writer) I used a storylet style system, though I didn't call it a "storylet" cause I had no idea what those were just yet. I just called them events, but they were pretty much the same thing. And I did it the way you mentioned above...and it got so messy so fast! The game was short (about a 1/2 hour worth of gameplay), but all the little things added up so quickly.
That's amazing! You're releasing real games! I'll check out Bad Writer.
pauljessup wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:32 pm So, I learned a lot from that! I'm going to refine the idea for my next game, for sure. Figure out a better way to trigger events and signals to create the storylets. I know there are a few modules already in love and Lua that handle signal/event sending, and I'll see if I can kind of get these to work with how I want this to work. Though, in the end, it might be quicker to write my own, since it's just a simple idea that should hopefully make complicated storylets far easier to write and maintain. We'll see!
Good idea on surveying what is out there for signal/slots/events. I've taken what I learned using signals/slots in Qt as a kind of design pattern and shoe-horned them into Lua. Lua is so flexible.

I've found Stateful and Tween to be pretty useful Lua libraries. I think Stateful requires MiddleClass, which I don't use besides as a dependency. Please let me know if you find a reasonable and simple signals/slots system.
tourgen
Citizen

Post by tourgen »

pauljessup wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:09 pm Oh that's really interesting! A fragment of objects! I like that a lot. I can see a lot of possibilities, but it would also cut down on a ton of writing/rewriting for various changes in variables. That is a cool idea!
thanks. It seems to work OK as long as I write things to fit together without abrupt transitions. I'm sure someone else has done this many times before, and I started searching around online for examples. I think mixing tense or referencing things/attributes that aren't there or haven't been introduced could be issues. I'm keeping it quite simple tho.
pauljessup
Party member

Post by pauljessup »

I sort of did something (SORT OF) in Bad Writer, when I generated random magazine and short story titles. It was basically mad libs, lol. I would take portions of each, randomize certain parts, squish them together. Not anywhere near as robust as what you're talking about, but it was fun to do (and for some reason, writers who played the game really liked the auto-generated stuff)
tourgen
Citizen

Post by tourgen »

pauljessup wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:21 pm I sort of did something (SORT OF) in Bad Writer, when I generated random magazine and short story titles. It was basically mad libs, lol. I would take portions of each, randomize certain parts, squish them together. Not anywhere near as robust as what you're talking about, but it was fun to do (and for some reason, writers who played the game really liked the auto-generated stuff)
That's really neat. I enjoy that kind of thing in games. It is curious though, why it is so compelling? Maybe anything that feels even a tiny bit dynamic grabs our interest. maybe why I find the idea of storylets so interesting.
dusoft
Party member

Post by dusoft »

I like the same thing here (Conflict: Middle East) - newspaper headlines generated depending on the events:
or
pauljessup
Party member

Post by pauljessup »

That's AWESOME
horselord
Prole

Post by horselord »

Never heard the term. I like it. I started out trying to make stuff w/ text based adventure games, and implemented a version of this in quickbasic and klik n play when I was a kid. It was odd though, bc I wasn't very familiar w/ many games of the genre. just seemed a natural way to tell a narrative in a video game.
horselord
Prole

Post by horselord »