Medieval Zombie Dungeon Crawler

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Jimanzium
Party member

Medieval Zombie Dungeon Crawler

Post by Jimanzium »

-----------------------------------------------------

Update 04/01/2024

New version uploaded, zombash_v2.love

-----------------------------------------------------

Hey lövely people, I wanted to share the first test build of the game I am currently working on.

It is a 2D medieval themed dungeon crawler in a world that has been over run by zombies. It also makes use of sprite stacking to create a 3D effect.

Controls:
Use WASD to move and the mouse to aim.
Hold left mouse to charge up a more powerful attack, or click quickly to do a faster but non damaging attack.
E to interact

You can check out some footage below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?vrdtsPK75_t4

The current level will be getting binned of so it's only really to test the game as is at the moment. I will need to expand on the level editor to add new features to the levels to make them much more interesting. Also candle placement is currently random but I am wanting to make more handcrafted environments in future versions.

There is still plenty to do but hopefully this build can give you an idea of what the game is going to be like once its more complete.

And as a note on performance whilst there is still optimizations I need to make currently I can run the game on a quad-core CPU with integrated graphics from 2011. However dual core CPUs may struggle here, even with further optimization. With additional features still to add I'm not sure how well I'll be able to get it to run on old laptops/netbooks.

Let me know what you think!
Attachments
zombash_v2.love
(6.27 MiB) Downloaded 40 times
zombash.love
(5.72 MiB) Downloaded 197 times
Last edited by Jimanzium on Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
zhengying
Prole

Re: Medieval Zombie Dungeon Crawler

Post by zhengying »

Great! it looks like a 3d game. Wow...
BrotSagtMist
Party member

Post by BrotSagtMist »

I have very little idea what is going on here really.
obey
BurrickSlayer
Prole

Post by BurrickSlayer »

I really like the atmosphere in your game: The fog, the shadows and the overall soundscape are well done!

It's too dark for my taste, though. Darkness can be scary in an entertaining way, but in this case I felt it was more annoying than anything else, because I could hardly see approaching enemies. In fact, I could hardly see a thing at all. ;)

The movement is interesting. Technically it feels robust and well made. At the same time it feels somewhat "mechanic", like navigating a robot. I think this kind of movement would be awesome for a mech-based game à la MechWarrior. Probably it can also work for your type of game, especially for "heavy" and slow characters, but not so much for fast and swift characters (at least that's what I assume).

Currently, all the enemies are attacking the player like crazy. More intelligent enemies, who approach the player more carefully and retreat if necessary, could make this game more dynamic and interesting. Unless it's supposed to be a hack and slash game, of course. :)
Tonmoy Mojumder
Prole

Post by Tonmoy Mojumder »

What physics engine are you using?
Tonmoy Mojumder
Prole

Looks professional
Jimanzium
Party member

Post by Jimanzium »

Tonmoy Mojumder wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:16 am What physics engine are you using?
The game's not using any physics engine, just some simple calculations for basic physics.

Thanks for all the feedback so far everyone!
I'll be posting an updated version soon which should address some of the feedback received so far as well as improving on the level.
Tonmoy Mojumder
Prole

which animation engine are you using?
Jimanzium
Party member

Post by Jimanzium »

I'm not using one, most of the animation is procedural just using rotations and slerps.
BrotSagtMist
Party member

Post by BrotSagtMist »

which AI model is helping you to make this?

joke joke joke! :crazy:
Its funny to see these questions constantly pop up as if people lack the imagination to even think of that stuff can work without requiring a ton libs and parental assist.

Anyway i gave it another shot and now managed to reach some kind of safe room. Yay i guess.
Took me a while to even see that there is a map shown.
Yea visibility is something you need to adjust, at least when the light bar is full you could start of much brighter.
There is simply not much fun staring constantly at a muddy dark fog.
obey