Ines in: Not enough time - yet another point & click adventure

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
knorke
Party member

Re: Ines in: Not enough time - yet another point & click adventure

Post by knorke »

apicici wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:23 pm
apicici wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:05 pm Sure, I'll look into it—I probably just need to redefine the audio functions to do nothing if the fmod shared libraries are not found. Out of curiosity, is the problem that you are trying to play it on a system that I didn't make a release for?
Here it is!
This version is silent for me. (Linux Mint)
The itch.io web version does play music.
apicici
Prole

Post by apicici »

knorke wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:05 am This version is silent for me. (Linux Mint)
The itch.io web version does play music.
That's the expected behaviour, the .love file does not include the FMOD library which I used for the music, per pgimeno's request.
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

apicici wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:23 pm Here it is!
Thank you SO very much!

apicici wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:05 pm Sure, I'll look into it—I probably just need to redefine the audio functions to do nothing if the fmod shared libraries are not found. Out of curiosity, is the problem that you are trying to play it on a system that I didn't make a release for?
No, not at all. There are a couple problems for me. One is that I have a personal policy not to run software in my computer that I don't have the source for (the only exceptions are the nVidia graphics driver and possibly some non-free firmware of certain devices such as network cards, not sure about that), and normally I will try to compile it myself rather than run a binary (notable exception: my distribution's binaries).

For example, I always compile Löve myself; I don't use precompiled binaries.

The other problem is more of a question of my philosophy about software freedom. FMOD is not free software, and it's also a personal policy to avoid closed software when I can. I also feel it goes against the spirit of the software freedom in which Löve is based.
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

pgimeno wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:59 pm No, not at all. There are a couple problems for me. One is that I have a personal policy not to run software in my computer that I don't have the source for (the only exceptions are the nVidia graphics driver and possibly some non-free firmware of certain devices such as network cards, not sure about that), and normally I will try to compile it myself rather than run a binary (notable exception: my distribution's binaries).
Just curious: does this policy applies to games? They rarely open sourced.
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

GVovkiv wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:15 pm Just curious: does this policy applies to games? They rarely open sourced.
In the computer, yes.

In the console, no.

I have bought very few games for computer, among them this one: https://github.com/MarvellousSoft/MarvInc because it is also free software and I loved it.