Devs of love2d which os do you use ?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.

Which os do you use ?

Windows(windows 8 and above)
41%
Windows(below 8)
No votes
Linux(any)
47%
Mac(any)
12%

Total votes: 34

zalander
Citizen

Devs of love2d which os do you use ?

Post by zalander »

Which os do you use and why ?
(Why does this sounds like a question that i got once in school lmao)
Using LOVE to make everything except games :crazy:

Code: Select all

astring = "pog"
print(astring)
--pog
milon
Party member

Re: Devs of love2d which os do you use ?

Post by milon »

Personally, I'm a Linux guy. I've never touched Mac. I used to be a Windows/MS guy, but was getting more and dissatisfied with the intrusiveness and anti-privacy way Windows was going. Long story short, Win10 was my tipping point and it's what motivated me to jump ship. I found Linux Mint and never looked back. ^^
Any code samples/ideas by me should be considered Public Domain (no attribution needed) license unless otherwise stated.
gcmartijn
Party member

Post by gcmartijn »

Maybe the webmaster can give some stats of returning 'users' to the /forums page.
Than you know what os users are using the forums.
ddabrahim
Party member

Post by ddabrahim »

I am using a Mac because Apple software is good software, maybe not better than others but it is good, reliable, secure and privacy focused and I like the overall experience, look and feel, smoothness and the integration with iOS.

Long story:
Like everybody I was using Windows up until Windows XP at which point I have discovered the world of Linux. Out of curiosity I started daily driving a distribution called PCLinuxOS which was using the KDE desktop. It was so much superior compared to XP I was shocked and sticked with it for a couple years. But I begin to miss some Windows games so I switched back to Windows 7 and it was good, I had no reason to go back to PCLinuxOS again and I was using Windows 7, 10 up until 2018 when Windows crashed and never booted again.

Figured if I need to re-install the OS I give Pop!_OS a try. Loved it so much. I needed a new PC and I was considering to get a Thelio. But then something really weird happened in a very critical moment. One day I have installed a system update and turned the computer off, didn't think of it much just an other system update. Later I had to quickly just hop on to the PC to print some very important documents and I was greeted with the Budgie Linux boot screen and then nothing. The desktop and window manager never started and I was sitting there with no clue what just happened. Instead of 5 minutes, I had to spend 2 hours to get an other computer, download a Live Linux image, boot from USB just to get the document from my computer and print it. The computer was seemingly running Budgie Linux that I have never installed. The system updates corrupted the system, somehow they messed up the Pop!_OS repositories with the Budgie Linux repositories. Maybe Pop!_OS is based on Budgie, I have no idea how it happened. Contacted pop!_OS guys and they had no idea. So I had to go get an external SSD, download everything from the computer and re-install the OS. I have installed Ubuntu, just after 1 month same shit happened, something wen't wrong with the repos and updates and something got corrupted and I was unable to ever run a system update again, I was greeted with an error message every time I wanted to run a system update check.

It happened literally days before I was ready to purchase a Thelio desktop. I was so mad about it and since the cost was the same at the very last minute I decided to get a Mac instead of Thelio. Figured if I don't like it I can still install Windows, Linux on it and I was curious about Mac anyway.
Long story short, my Mac is getting 5 years old and runs exactly the same when it was new, no crashes, no slow downs, and Apple software is good software maybe not better than others but good and reliable, secure, privacy focused and love the integration with iOS.

Yes I have also learned the lesson, since I backup everything on to an external SSD and also the cloud and I have my printer setup so I can also print from my phone now :P
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

ddabrahim wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:52 am secure and privacy focused
Well, that certainly debatable
Maybe Pop!_OS is based on Budgie
Pop_OS is Ubuntu-based distro and always was like that (Some history background: way back before System76 decided to create Pop_OS, they were using Ubuntu for their systems that they sale) so issue that you had really weird. Maybe you somehow installed some wrong packages?
Figured if I don't like it I can still install Linux
Actually, even to this day installing Linux on Macs is still questionably, due to missing drivers and proprietary stuff, so Linux on Mac would require more troubleshooting then your average pc.
Situation with new macs on M1/M2 or whatever apple uses, situation might be better, thanks to effort of people behind Asashi Linux, but it still in alpha state rather then something that you can "daily drive".
ddabrahim
Party member

Post by ddabrahim »

Well, that certainly debatable
They certainly do their analyses and statistics but Apple did make lot of people angry with some of their data and privacy protection policies. If I remember Facebook even threatened to sue Apple and to make Facebook paid on iOS and at some point Google was also nerves. If Apple makes Google and Facebook nerves, that is good. Now that Google did find a way to block ad blockers in all web browsers including Safari, wondering if Apple going to make a move and come up with something in Safari.

In any case, the promise and policies of Apple is better than nothing.
Maybe you somehow installed some wrong packages?
The only thing I have done was, I have received the notification new system update is available. Clicked install and then I was supposed to restart the system but I did turn it off, I was thinking it can finish the configuration and whatever it needs to do next time I turn it on.

Next time I turned the computer on it is displayed Budgie Linux boot screen and then black screen, nothing happened. Pop!_OS guys did not comment on this, they just told me to run system recovery but it didn't worked the recovery tool was unable to recover Pop!_OS. So I left with no option but to wipe the OS. Around that time all Ubuntu based distroes had problems with repositories get corrupted, I mentioned only Ubuntu but I have also tried, Ubuntu Mate, and did re_install Pop!_OS too but after 1 month, 3 weeks they broke, they were unable to install updates. Someone was messing with the Ubuntu repositories around this time. I have no idea what it was.

Since I have Fedora installed on that PC, I still have it and use it only to try few things sometime. It is running Fedora 38 and one time I received a notification about a new system update is available and when I clicked install, it is notified me about breaking changes and about to install Fedora 35. I didn't install the update. I have no idea why it wanted to downgrade from 38 to 35 and call it a new system update but I am glad Fedora did notify me about the breaking changes and did offer me the option to opt out and stop the install and it did recover the system for me. After couple days, the update notification disappeared. So maybe it is just bad luck but Linux package repositories and I are not friends. They keep messing with me. But if I had to daily drive a Linux distro today, it would be Fedora. The installation on my PC is also getting 5 years old and so far everything works the same when I installed it 5 years ago and the fact it did actually prevented breaking update once is giving me hope.
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

Linux is not for everybody.

Windows is not for everybody.

MacOS is not for everybody.

Wait, I think I see a pattern there... Will it work with FreeBSD? Oh yeah, it's not for everybody either. QNX? Right, same thing. iOS? Same. Android? Not for everyone either.

I changed to Linux in about 2007 after I got fed up of Microsoft's monopolistic, destructive, predatory antics, so I switched to Debian and never looked back. I have never heard of anyone having the problems ddabrahim mentions, ever. Would never touch an Apple with a stick; they seem to be in a competition with Microsoft in monopolistic tactics.
ddabrahim
Party member

Post by ddabrahim »

I have never heard of anyone having the problems ddabrahim mentions, ever.
I have this kind of problems with repositories mostly with Ubuntu based distros but always. I normally also use the community repos and proprietary staff. That could be a problem if the same package is coming from two repos it is create a conflict, no idea.

I don't usually have this problem with other distros. PCLinuxOS I believe is independent, originally it was based on Mandriva I think, pretty stable but it was missing some packages I needed and I don't have this problem with Fedora right now. With Ubuntu and Ubuntu based distros, all the time, always.

My theory is that the Pop!_OS team do experiment with different backends like Debian, Ubuntu, Arch, Budgie and on that day they messed up and pushed the experimental Budgie version out and I was the lucky few who was at the computer at that very moment and installed it straight away. This is the only explanation I have for what happened. I am sitting at the computer all day and install updates straight away while others may wondering about and miss the window of opportunities to break the system. I have no other explanation.
Would never touch an Apple with a stick
You don't have to, it is possible to setup voice commands for any task you need. If you know anyone with disability need a computer, Mac comes loaded out of the box with all the functionality to setup for someone with disability.
they seem to be in a competition with Microsoft in monopolistic tactics.
I don't feel like Apple force anyone to use Apple software. I could use Chrome, Firefox, Brave but I like Safari. I could use WhatsApp but since everyone I know got an iPhone, using iMessage, FaceTime is convenient. I could use Microsoft or Google Docs but Pages works fine. Could also use Google Photos, Google Drive, DropBox, Linode and what not but iPhotos, Notes, Reminders and iCloud nicely integrate with everything else I don't feel like I am forced in to anything. It is my decision to use Apple software. I don't have to.

But because of Apple software, yes I am kind of forced in to using Apple hardware. I am thinking about this a lot but then just to be not forced to use Apple hardware if I force my self to use other software, it's the same thing essentially. I am forced to use Google Drive just in case I lose access to Apple hardware. It is a different kind of monopoly but still monopoly.

So we can throw rocks at Apple they deserve it, but so everyone else. Nobody is doing it right not even Linux and one way or an other you are forced to use everything depends on how you look at it. Either because you are locked in or to avoid to be locked in but you are forced to use what you use.
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

I have never heard of anyone having the problems ddabrahim mentions, ever.
It's not exactly same, but do you happens to heard about "installing steam removed my entire desktop environment"?
It's happened with Pop_OS repositories, and, apperently, due to messed up dependencies, installing "steam" package (which is steam client) would result in removing almost everything, like xorg, gnome, everything.
So I wouldn't be surprised if ddabrahim had something similar
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

You don't have to, it is possible to setup voice commands for any task you need. If you know anyone with disability need a computer, Mac comes loaded out of the box with all the functionality to setup for someone with disability.
While I don't like Windows and Mac much, it's hard to not agree that in this OSs accessibility functionality miles away from linux.

Even using virtual keyboard on touchscreen or graphics tablets with screen and stylus is pure nightmare in almost all desktop environments and window managers, because some programs ignore it, some doesn't want to adapt window to account for size of virtual keyboard, etc.

Same with dictor, voice input, etc.
In linux all off this or doesn't exist, or works not that good to be usable, while in Mac or Windows they actually usable with anything that you throw at them, and they available out-of-box.