How would I prevent dead ends from my game map?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
MaxGamz
Party member

How would I prevent dead ends from my game map?

Post by MaxGamz »

I started working on making a randomly generation cave map, however the main issue I have is that there are a lot of dead ends which make it harder for the player to traverse from one end to another. I also need space for enemies to move freely around. I want it to not just be predictable but also ensure that there is a way out.
TestMap.love
(460 Bytes) Downloaded 28 times
darkfrei
Party member

Re: How would I prevent dead ends from my game map?

Post by darkfrei »

MaxGamz wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:19 pm I started working on making a randomly generation cave map, however the main issue I have is that there are a lot of dead ends which make it harder for the player to traverse from one end to another. I also need space for enemies to move freely around. I want it to not just be predictable but also ensure that there is a way out.

TestMap.love
Random is too difficult to predict, use something like Reaction diffusion or other type of cellular automaton to calculate it.
:awesome: in Lua we Löve
:awesome: Platformer Guide
:awesome: freebies
dusoft
Party member

Post by dusoft »

darkfrei wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:49 pm
MaxGamz wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:19 pm I started working on making a randomly generation cave map, however the main issue I have is that there are a lot of dead ends which make it harder for the player to traverse from one end to another. I also need space for enemies to move freely around. I want it to not just be predictable but also ensure that there is a way out.

TestMap.love
Random is too difficult to predict, use something like Reaction diffusion or other type of cellular automaton to calculate it.
Or index dead ends and do connections (portals) between them. But the proposed diffusion mechanism is better.
milon
Party member

Post by milon »

Procedural maze/cave/map generation is a vast topic. These are good ideas, but there's more ways to do it. Poke around online and see what you find - you may come across a solution that works better for you. (Not saying reaction diffusion is bad at all - I just have no way of knowing if it's your best solution.)
Any code samples/ideas by me should be considered Public Domain (no attribution needed) license unless otherwise stated.