Offline-capable LÖVE tutorial

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Pinko
Prole

Offline-capable LÖVE tutorial

Post by Pinko »

This is not enough. We need a pdf or an ebook for newbies. Who can write it?
Only simple points to get started.

I would say:

maximum of 8 pages
Version 11 and up.
  • what is Löve
  • how to start
  • the first program
    *** hello mom!
    *** The first picture
    *** some text
  • where to search for information
  • what to read( basic knowlege like: what is versioning,asci,utf8, diff, svn,..)
Author of the vape knigge. I have thought of you! is much better than "i have waited for you". :cool:
milon
Party member

Re: Offline LÖVE documentation for download

Post by milon »

Pinko wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:11 pm This is not enough. We need a pdf or an ebook for newbies. Who can write it?
It's already been done: https://www.sheepolution.com/learn/book/contents
There are very likely others too, but this one is great!
Any code samples/ideas by me should be considered Public Domain (no attribution needed) license unless otherwise stated.
Pinko
Prole

Post by Pinko »

milon wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:22 pm
Pinko wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:11 pm This is not enough. We need a pdf or an ebook for newbies. Who can write it?
It's already been done: https://www.sheepolution.com/learn/book/contents
There are very likely others too, but this one is great!
Thank you, for the tip, but this is not what i have meant. Yes, there is plenty material online, to read and learn. The code doodles are just wonderful! I meant a real short pdf with the bare minimum to learn Löve and "be able to get more information on my own".

Pinko
Author of the vape knigge. I have thought of you! is much better than "i have waited for you". :cool:
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

Pinko wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:27 pm "be able to get more information on my own".

Pinko
Read wiki afterward?
Pinko
Prole

Post by Pinko »

GVovkiv wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:18 pm
Pinko wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:27 pm "be able to get more information on my own".

Pinko
Read wiki afterward?
Yes. First to read the pdf offline, to get a first understanding how love works ( a crossplatform 2d game framework with a canvas constantly drawing frames and its possibilitys (keyboard, mouse joystick), and then with many pointers to the wiki, wikipedia and lua, to read afterwards. This is how i imagine it to be. Printerfriendly pictures! (White background with black writing)
There is plenty of material alredy in the wiki, that can be used for it. Only someone needs to asseble it together.
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

Pinko wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:03 am Yes. First to read the pdf offline, to get a first understanding how love works ( a crossplatform 2d game framework with a canvas constantly drawing frames and its possibilitys (keyboard, mouse joystick), and then with many pointers to the wiki, wikipedia and lua, to read afterwards. This is how i imagine it to be. Printerfriendly pictures! (White background with black writing)
There is plenty of material alredy in the wiki, that can be used for it. Only someone needs to asseble it together.
What would make more sense (and will be actually easier) is to:
* reorganize front page of wiki to include information in more newbie-friendly way: include video tutorials, more books to read, something about gamedev, math, and so on. And just in general organize it better then 3x4 columns with some links.
* add/fix proper wiki dumping for offline usage (I think this should be essential), so you can click "download wiki" on front page and immediately get zip file will all WORKING stuff inside.

Your "pdf ebook for newbiews" means that:
* Someone need to maintain this book to make sure it is up-to-date. Which wiki already doing, in several languages, if someone translates and updates it, without additional overhead.
* Someone need to maintain different languages for that book (because wiki supports translations and there already plenty of them).

Make wiki better and there will be not much need in "pdf for newbies" if main page will be friendly on it's own.
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

There is an unwritten rule in the free software world: if you want something done, do it yourself rather than telling others to do it.
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

pgimeno wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:56 pm There is an unwritten rule in the free software world: if you want something done, do it yourself rather than telling others to do it.
Yes, but sometimes it's good idea to stop and think about or ask someone: "If it worth it?" or "maybe there better ways to achieve desired outcome?"
milon
Party member

Post by milon »

Pinko wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:03 am There is plenty of material alredy in the wiki, that can be used for it. Only someone needs to asseble it together.
I'm still unclear what you're looking for that would be different/better than what already exists.
pgimeno wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:56 pm There is an unwritten rule in the free software world: if you want something done, do it yourself rather than telling others to do it.
This. Pinko, do you know that you can login to the wiki with your forum account? You can create your own newbie-friendly materials there, and/or publish them elsewhere if you so choose. I can't really help you since I don't know what problem you're trying to fix, but you could be the perfect person to tackle it. You could even make a whole tutorial series and post it here in the forums if you like. As you create a clear(er) vision and begin publishing materials, you may find others willing to jump in and lend a hand. But right now, it seems like you're aiming for something that no one else can see yet.
Any code samples/ideas by me should be considered Public Domain (no attribution needed) license unless otherwise stated.
Pinko
Prole

Post by Pinko »

I am already logged in the wiki, but i am still a beginner in löve. (maybe, this qualifies me for this job?)
Yes, the wiki needs work and i still want to assemble a pdf or ebook for beginners.
It should be short (about 10 pages maximum) and at first only in english. I think this will substantially improve the löve experience for beginners.
At the moment, löve is a niche software. With the free to share document it will expand the userbase extremly, like that of the linux kernel after making it public available by Linus Torvalds. There are many young people around the world, not knowing this "easy framework to make your own game".

Dont expect fast results from me.

At a later time, i would appreciate a little help in translation and maintaining of those documents.

Thank you, for your kind answers!
Pinko
Last edited by Pinko on Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.