Love2D Studio: A free tool to code and test fantastic games on iPad/iPhone

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
SugarRayLua
Citizen

Re: Love2D Studio: A free tool to code and test fantastic games on iPad/iPhone

Post by SugarRayLua »

Thanks, @marknote, that makes sense.

I actually hadn't realized you added a separate import function to let one import files which I now tried and do think is helpful. I was previously still importing files by copy and pasting them from the Apple files app. I see how that import function you added imports .love files and then unzips them for the user to be able to look for the main.lua file to run.

When the source code from the Love2d iOS github release site is compiled with Xcode then sideloaded, it has the additional convenience of being able to run the .love files without having to unzip them first. (I attached a screenshot of part of the directory of Love2d files I have in my Love2d iOS app that I compiled for the official iOS Love2d source showing both unzipped .love files that I can tap on and run in their native state and other love projects that I've chosen to unzip to look at their code, modify, etc).

The reason I mentioned about the heart icon indicating the file is an actual .love file is because that is how .love files are identified by the MacOS Love2d app. Unzipped .love files on the MacOS Love2d app are identified with a folder icon. Not sure what conventions files are identified with different icons on other Love2d platforms though.

Fyi.
IMG_1699.png
IMG_1699.png (323.58 KiB) Viewed 117065 times
SugarRayLua
Citizen

Post by SugarRayLua »

Happy New Year, @marknote 🎉

Another minor suggestion:
Enable "split screen" mode with Love2D Studio. Helpful to be able to "split screen" code in Love2D Studio while perhaps looking up Love2D Wiki at the same time (currently you have helpful link to the Love2D resources from the menu screen but can't view those resources right now while coding without split screen).

Fyi,
Thanks for considering 😊
Tabaqui
Prole

Post by Tabaqui »

Thanks for sharing this project! I’ve been looking for something like this to test my game on mobile devices!

Is there any way to rotate the screen by the way?
marknote
Prole

Post by marknote »

Happy New Year @SugarRayLua

Thanks for the advice.
"split screen" is also a topic I have been struggled for quite some time and am still struggling . So far, my biggest challenge is how to make it usable on iPhone's small screen ... I
Anyway, appreciate your consideration on this.
SugarRayLua wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:13 am Happy New Year, @marknote 🎉

Another minor suggestion:
Enable "split screen" mode with Love2D Studio. Helpful to be able to "split screen" code in Love2D Studio while perhaps looking up Love2D Wiki at the same time (currently you have helpful link to the Love2D resources from the menu screen but can't view those resources right now while coding without split screen).

Fyi,
Thanks for considering 😊
Craft fantastic games on iPhone/iPad: https://love2d-studio.marknoteapp.com/
marknote
Prole

Post by marknote »

Hi @tabqqui,

Thanks for the feedback!
Rotation will be added in a later version.
Tabaqui wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:14 pm Thanks for sharing this project! I’ve been looking for something like this to test my game on mobile devices!

Is there any way to rotate the screen by the way?
marknote
Prole

Post by marknote »

Thanks for pointing out!
So far, I am hesitating to add the supporting of running .love file directly. I am thinking Love2D Studio is more on a "code and run" manner. Once .love file directly supported, it will be a little confusing whether to be able to change its code :D
SugarRayLua wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 3:30 am Thanks, @marknote, that makes sense.

I actually hadn't realized you added a separate import function to let one import files which I now tried and do think is helpful. I was previously still importing files by copy and pasting them from the Apple files app. I see how that import function you added imports .love files and then unzips them for the user to be able to look for the main.lua file to run.

When the source code from the Love2d iOS github release site is compiled with Xcode then sideloaded, it has the additional convenience of being able to run the .love files without having to unzip them first. (I attached a screenshot of part of the directory of Love2d files I have in my Love2d iOS app that I compiled for the official iOS Love2d source showing both unzipped .love files that I can tap on and run in their native state and other love projects that I've chosen to unzip to look at their code, modify, etc).

The reason I mentioned about the heart icon indicating the file is an actual .love file is because that is how .love files are identified by the MacOS Love2d app. Unzipped .love files on the MacOS Love2d app are identified with a folder icon. Not sure what conventions files are identified with different icons on other Love2d platforms though.

Fyi.

IMG_1699.png
SugarRayLua
Citizen

Post by SugarRayLua »

👍😊
di0nizus
Prole

Post by di0nizus »

This is amazing! Thanks for make LÖVE possible on iOS! :D

If I wasn't blocked by a warning saying it's only compatible with iOS 16 and up (mine is 15.8) :( Guess I'm out of luck xD

Dev, would it be possible to enable iOS 15 compatibility (iphone 7, 6s, etc)? I guess it'd have more users as they are cheaper devices and still quite powerful nowadays.

Thank you :D
marknote
Prole

Post by marknote »

Thanks for the feedback! Support to iOS 15 will be added shortly. Stay tuned.
di0nizus wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:21 pm This is amazing! Thanks for make LÖVE possible on iOS! :D

If I wasn't blocked by a warning saying it's only compatible with iOS 16 and up (mine is 15.8) :( Guess I'm out of luck xD

Dev, would it be possible to enable iOS 15 compatibility (iphone 7, 6s, etc)? I guess it'd have more users as they are cheaper devices and still quite powerful nowadays.

marknote
Prole

Post by marknote »

Hi di0nizus,

iOS 15 support is ready. Please help to check and let me know for any issues. Thanks~
di0nizus wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:21 pm This is amazing! Thanks for make LÖVE possible on iOS! :D