Alternate Windows's save directory for love.filesystem

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
vico
Prole

Alternate Windows's save directory for love.filesystem

Post by vico »

Hello!

Reading about love.filesystem on Love wiki, i saw that it creates a sandboxed environment and exposes only a subfolder (either Love\<game> for unfused or just <game> if fused) within %AppData% (C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming) to be written by the game.

Althrough i'm okay with the sandbox aspect, i would like to know if there is a way to change the default save folder (on Windows only) from %AppData% to another Known Folder, like Documents/My Documents or even Saved Games (that should be the default for games to store save data at least until Windows 7). A little OCD trigger from my IT days seeing such kind of data being written under the AppData\Roaming folder.

There is a C/C++ function in Windows API that can fetch the path of such kind of "special" folder (since they can be moved around by the user), but i'm not proeficient enough in C/C++ to try to apply it via ffi and modify the love.filesystem to reflect this change (on Windows-only, of course).
dusoft
Party member

Re: Alternate Windows's save directory for love.filesystem

Post by dusoft »

You can use a generic or a specific Lua library to handle other filesystem calls. That is, using LÖVE you are not constrained to use its functions alone.

However using a generic filesystem handling library comes with some issues such as different OS etc.
togFox
Party member

Post by togFox »

My ocd is equally triggered. This works on Windows. Not sure about other os.

https://github.com/EngineerSmith/nativefs

I test for the os the love file is using and if it is Windows then I save to my preferred location (not 'roaming') and if it's not Windows then use vanilla love.filesystem. I don't use those os so that doesn't trigger me. 8-)
Current project:
https://togfox.itch.io/backyard-gridiron-manager
American football manager/sim game - build and manage a roster and win season after season
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

I'd say you sadly can't realistically cater to every people's different wishes on this topic. I for one like to keep my data in one place, next to the application that uses it, but that doesn't play well with multi-user systems (besides the fact that i'm the only user of mine) nor "safeties" OS-es apply to your computer for your own benefit, considering the user is always wrong. :3
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
vico
Prole

Post by vico »

togFox wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:05 pm My ocd is equally triggered. This works on Windows. Not sure about other os.

https://github.com/EngineerSmith/nativefs

I test for the os the love file is using and if it is Windows then I save to my preferred location (not 'roaming') and if it's not Windows then use vanilla love.filesystem. I don't use those os so that doesn't trigger me. 8-)
I think nativefs is the way i would go. I asked the author if there is a way to, on Windows, to get the path of such special folders. Let's see if it already can be achieved or if they have the interest of implementing it.