has anybody been on these two site

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
kingslovelua
Citizen

has anybody been on these two site

Post by kingslovelua »

So I was looking for tutorials on 2d game development in Lua and I found these two site http://www.phailed.me/2011/02/learn-lua-the-hard-way-1/ and http://luatut.com/crash_course.html. I'm just asking if they are wroth reading.
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Re: has anybody been on these two site

Post by Taehl »

I skimmed through them, and both of those look pretty good to me. Go for it - it will probably do you more good right now than reading the manual. If you have previous programming experience, you may want to try the "Lua PiL" book.
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
kingslovelua
Citizen

Post by kingslovelua »

Taehl wrote:I skimmed through them, and both of those look pretty good to me. Go for it - it will probably do you more good right now than reading the manual. If you have previous programming experience, you may want to try the "Lua PiL" book.

i try reading the Pil it just puts me to sleep, but what im really looking for is a tutorial on 2d game development in lua from beginning to end like this book http://printfu.org/read/creating-2d-gam ... WW1dTYi6nx

thats actually the book I was reading before I came here, but visual studio told me to upgrade my PC so that I can run the game files. that's all behind me now I'm no longer mad seeing that xna is a fall now i'm glade I didn't invest anymore time in it.
Taehl

Post by Taehl »

We have a bunch of tutorials in the Love wiki which may interest you.
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
kingslovelua
Citizen

Post by kingslovelua »

Taehl wrote:We have a bunch of tutorials in the Love wiki which may interest you.
everyone on the internet keep pointing me to the wiki but I feel when I'm reading the wiki its just showing me how to make a game in love2d not how to make a game with lua if that even makes sense in other words in the wiki I feel like it's just showing me a bunch of tables and function that i could use to make a game.

I want it ( it mean toturial or what ever the source is) to teach me Lua while making a game in lov2d maybe that's to much to ask for I guess the reason why I'm asking for it that way because that how I was learning c# and xna, as one and that's what I feel comfortable with and what im trying to do in the long run.

i guess i'll take another look at it and read it word for word this time
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

You're right. The wiki assumes you either have learned how games work somewhere else, or otherways learn while doing. If you feel you need more tutorials on the topic, go ahead and read a few good ones. You could start with the two you suggested. If you have specific questions, this forum will keep helping you, but for a general tutorial you should probably look somewhere else. I don't know where to go, because I'm more of a "I'll figure it out myself" kind of person.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Taehl

Post by Taehl »

You can't really make a game in pure Lua - there's no way to have sounds, graphics, non-blocking input... You'd basically be able to make an old-school roguelike or text-based adventure game, but that's about it.
minism
Prole

Post by minism »

PIL is by far the best resource on Lua. It's fantastic!
kingslovelua
Citizen

Post by kingslovelua »

Taehl wrote:You can't really make a game in pure Lua - there's no way to have sounds, graphics, non-blocking input... You'd basically be able to make an old-school roguelike or text-based adventure game, but that's about it.
so what are the demos and project i see some of the members making there games out off
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

kingslovelua wrote:
Taehl wrote:You can't really make a game in pure Lua - there's no way to have sounds, graphics, non-blocking input... You'd basically be able to make an old-school roguelike or text-based adventure game, but that's about it.
so what are the demos and project i see some of the members making there games out off
You do realize what Love is, right?
Kurosuke needs beta testers