Running java SDLActivity without androidx

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
AuahDark
Party member

Re: Running java SDLActivity without androidx

Post by AuahDark »

Yes, that DisplayCutout is important for love.window.getSafeArea functionality.
Profile. Do you encounter crashes in LÖVE Android and wanna send me logcats? Please hit me up in LÖVE Discord and send the full logcat file!
Gunroar:Cannon()
Party member

Post by Gunroar:Cannon() »

Is that function used a lot/used in löve, if I don't use it.
And any reason why Androidx is so important? Or any .jar download site that works?
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved and born again :huh:
AuahDark
Party member

Post by AuahDark »

love.window.getSafeArea is required to retrieve non-obstructed area of game window (i.e. camera notches). If you want to handle devices with notch, then you most likely need that function.

Also why you really don't want AndroidX? Since it's part of love-android dependency, you can't compile one without it. Also, it sounds like your Android SDK is broken.
Profile. Do you encounter crashes in LÖVE Android and wanna send me logcats? Please hit me up in LÖVE Discord and send the full logcat file!
Party member

My Androidx is old and I can't update it...

MrFariator
Party member

Post by MrFariator »

And why is that, what's the actual issue? Seems like you're trying to find alternatives instead of fixing whatever it is that's broken with your Android build setup.
Party member

MrFariator wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:17 am And why is that, what's the actual issue? Seems like you're trying to find alternatives instead of fixing whatever it is that's broken with your Android build setup.

Okay, let me try and recall my steps/problems

1)Try to build a game , problem:androidx missing,

2)Get androidx using maven, problem: android displaycutout, openURL and other things missing

3)Update android.jar manually and displaycutout is there(at this point I'm not sure if there was another problem with this updated android.jar :? ),
problem: syntax error/variable already declared in an xml(?) file of androidx package. Can't edit that file, read only and I can't get permission(I know why, I can't), even if I could it seems off editing a file I downloaded. I don't even know how an xml file is in the package...

4)Tried to get androidx again but manual jar file but no luck :cry: , hence I'm here asking for different ways to compile a love2d android game :)

AuahDark
Party member

Post by AuahDark »

Gunroar:Cannon() wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:07 pm 1)Try to build a game , problem:androidx missing,
This sounds like broken Gradle. When you don't have AndroidX, gradle should automatically pull the AndroidX dependency from the internet. If you don't have internet access to your build machine then, well, good luck.
Party member

AuahDark wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:50 am
This sounds like broken Gradle. When you don't have AndroidX, gradle should automatically pull the AndroidX dependency from the internet. If you don't have internet access to your build machine then, well, good luck.
Haha, No :rofl: . It did automatically pull it from the internet, but it seems the androidx was broken(?). Would changing version help?

AuahDark
Party member

Post by AuahDark »

No, the exact version is written on love-android build.gradle. Since even clean machine (GitHub Actions CI) can build it correctly, then the problem is your end and we really can't do nothing about it.

Probably deleting the .gradle folder in your HOME/USERPROFILE directory helps.
Party member

Ok, thnx I'll try it and see if I can give any more solid feedback. :ultrahappy: