Inexperienced Knights [Update #8]

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Clean3d
Prole

Inexperienced Knights [Update #8]

Post by Clean3d »

Hello!

I'm working on a hopefully-commercial (sorry!) co-op action game called Inexperienced Knights. The colors, resolution, and music/sfx are loosely styled to an 8-bit console. This limitation was made to limit scope, but I hope the game respects the nostalgia some have for that era of gaming all the same. I'm not worried about imitating things like colors-per-sprite or some of the more delicate limitations of old hardware, so this doesn't strictly emulate an 8-bit environment.

The gameplay is pretty simple, and intended to be accessible to non-gamers as much as possible. All that's necessary to play is a two-button controller with a D-pad or joystick. Complexity and strategy comes from choosing the primary/secondary item loadouts, and how those interact with each other and other players.

There's still much to do, but I wanted to start sharing my progress with the Love2D community. I hope you enjoy it!

Intro screen. There are several layers of scrolling backgrounds happening here. The main logo also smoothly animates up and down, lending a bit of visual interest.
Main menu, obviously. The background mountains scroll, and the side-character changes depending on menu-item selected.
The goblin chases you around and can 'kill' you, but without weapon implementation it's not very exciting at the moment. The green/blue bubbles are where items will be displayed eventually.
Currently, one player is created for the keyboard on level-start, along with one for each controller plugged in. Drop-in joining, as well as pre-level player configurability are planned.

(Sorry, no .love yet!)
Last edited by Clean3d on Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:38 am, edited 7 times in total.
Clean3d's Twitter, Game, and Blog
Davidobot
Party member

Re: Inexperienced Knights

Post by Davidobot »

This is so cool! Love the graphics style! :awesome:
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
Jimanzium
Party member

Post by Jimanzium »

Looking pretty damn cool, have you got a combat system sorted?
pauljessup
Party member

Post by pauljessup »

Why apologizing? I'm working on a commercial game in Love as well.

Also: looks spiffy!
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

That looks well-polished, do you have a rough idea when we're going to see this first-hand?
Eamonn
Party member

Post by Eamonn »

pauljessup wrote:Why apologizing? I'm working on a commercial game in Love as well.

Me too. Well, I'm going to see how it turns out. Hopefully it'll be open source as well(Yes, commercial things can be open source(Look at RedHat or Gina Trapani's Todo.TXT)).

Anyway, this looks incredible! Best of luck to you! :D
"In those quiet moments, you come into my mind" - Liam Reilly
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

Your looks remind me of the old God of Thunder game. Good luck!
When I write def I mean function.
Clean3d
Prole

Post by Clean3d »

Wow! Thanks for all the encouraging words, everyone.

Jimanzium:
It's not made, yet. The implementation has to touch a lot of existing systems, and I've been procrastinating.
pauljessup, Eamonn: The main page of the Love wiki mentions "evil commercial projects", and I thought that might be the community's sentiment. Good to hear otherwise!
bartbes: I have a hard-deadline, but I don't want to say publicly. There's a lot to do before anything is fit to demo. : )
kikito: I'm flattered by the comparison. It's tough to make things look decent with (56?) colors. I have a new level of respect for old games!
Clean3d's Twitter, Game, and Blog
davisdude
Party member

Post by davisdude »

I think evil is referring more to closed source(?)
Don't hold me to that, just a guess.
And on the (doubtful) off chance it might just be an adjective to add some spice to the wiki. Who knows? :awesome:
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim
substitute541
Party member

Post by substitute541 »

Eamonn wrote:
pauljessup wrote:Why apologizing? I'm working on a commercial game in Love as well.

Me too. Well, I'm going to see how it turns out. Hopefully it'll be open source as well(Yes, commercial things can be open source(Look at RedHat or Gina Trapani's Todo.TXT)).
Wait, how would people get money if they can just get the source and repack into the .love?
Currently designing themes for WordPress.

Sometimes lurks around the forum.