Distribution questions

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
CaptainMaelstrom
Party member

Distribution questions

Post by CaptainMaelstrom »

I'm trying to make a game.exe so my windows friends can play my game without having to install LÖVE.
I'd also like to make a similar file for my Mac-user friends.

I have no trouble making a .love and getting it to work on my PC, I've read the wiki and searched some threads on the forums but I must be doing something wrong. When I double click my game.exe, I get an error (.png attached).

Here's my procedure:
I copied all the contents of my LÖVE installation folder into the folder that has my main.lua and images etc.
I selected all the contents and created a zip archive of them.
I rename the zip archive to LOVESTUFF.love and make sure I can boot it up and play the game.
Then I shift-right-click and open terminal at this location (my working folder) and I type
"copy /b LOVESTUFF.love+love.exe game.exe"
I'll also tried using different names for the .love and the resulting .exe files to no avail.
After my system successfully makes the game.exe, I double-click to open it and that's when I get the error attached.

Any ideas?
Attachments
error.png
error.png (33.57 KiB) Viewed 1944 times
Robin
The Omniscient

Re: Distribution questions

Post by Robin »

I think you should try copy /b love.exe+LOVESTUFF.love game.exe.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
CaptainMaelstrom
Party member

Post by CaptainMaelstrom »

Doh. Thanks!

Will Mac users be able to run this .exe? If not, how can I make a separate distribution for them?

Thanks again.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

No, for Mac users, see the Mac OS X section of the Game Distribution page on the wiki. love.app can be downloaded from the home page. Rename it to .zip, then you can add your game to Contents/Resources/, and rename the whole thing mygame.app.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

It's not a native executable, but I think packaged .exe games still work if you open them via love.app.
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.