LÖVE 11.5 released!

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
slime
Solid Snayke

LÖVE 11.5 released!

Post by slime »

LÖVE version 11.5 is out now! As usual download links are on the homepage and the full changelog is available on the wiki.

This is a small release primarily to fix major bugs in LuaJIT's implementation of the pairs iterator, plus a few other bug fixes and minor changes in LÖVE itself.

The version of LuaJIT that shipped with 11.4 had several overlapping issues in its JIT compilation code for pairs which could cause freezes or skipped elements in rare situations. The version used in 11.5 fixes those problems.

Other changes include fixes to long-standing visual issues with line joins when lines are nearly parallel to each other, several fixes to love.joystick's gamepad mapping functions, a new Android launcher to more easily load .love files, and LÖVE on Apple SIlicon Mac no longer has JIT compilation enabled by default because the JIT compiler can run out of available memory very quickly and tank performance.

————

Aside from the new 11.5 release, work continues to progress on LÖVE 12.0 with over 1,100 commits to its branch in the LÖVE source repository - the the changelog is very big at this point, and all major planned features are in but more polish, iteration, and documentation is needed before it's ready for release. In the meantime nightly builds are available on Github for people to try!
knorke
Party member

Re: LÖVE 11.5 released!

Post by knorke »

Added "LÖVE Loader" launcher on Android for easier loading of .love files.
What is that? A separate tool? Or will Love2d display some selection menu instead of the "no game" screen?
BurrickSlayer
Prole

Post by BurrickSlayer »

Great news! Many thanks to all contributors.
slime wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:33 pm LÖVE on Apple SIlicon Mac no longer has JIT compilation enabled by default because the JIT compiler can run out of available memory very quickly and tank performance.
There's no solution in sight yet, is there? I've only read about some more or less "hacky workarounds" in LuaJIT's GitHub.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

Not yet unfortunately. You can follow the main github issue for it here. I think it should still be possible to selectively enable JIT compilation for specific functions via the jit.on function, which will be more reliable in terms of performance now that other Lua code isn't taking up the same memory range for JIT compiled code.

LuaJIT's development pace has also picked up quite a bit in the past few months, and now there's a roadmap for LuaJIT 3.0. So I'm optimistic the root issue will be addressed in the long term even though it probably won't in the short term.
gcmartijn
Party member

Post by gcmartijn »

thanks for your work ;)
Bobble68
Party member

Post by Bobble68 »

Cool! I have no idea what this is fixing but I'm happy anyway!

Also, am I being stupid or does the homepage still only show 11.4?
Dragon
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

Bobble68 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:49 pm Also, am I being stupid or does the homepage still only show 11.4?
Web browsers like to cache static pages like the love homepage. Refreshing (maybe force-refreshing) should make it update.
AuahDark
Party member

Post by AuahDark »

knorke wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:25 pm
Added "LÖVE Loader" launcher on Android for easier loading of .love files.
What is that? A separate tool? Or will Love2d display some selection menu instead of the "no game" screen?
It's a separate app icon in your app drawer. Its sole purpose is to ask which .love files to load from your phone.
Profile. Do you encounter crashes in LÖVE Android and wanna send me logcats? Please hit me up in LÖVE Discord and send the full logcat file!
darkfrei
Party member

Post by darkfrei »

Earlier I've made a lot of videos with GeForce Experience, but now it isn't possible anymore.
Attachments
2023-12-04T08_51_15-NVIDIA GeForce Overlay DT.png
2023-12-04T08_51_15-NVIDIA GeForce Overlay DT.png (9.41 KiB) Viewed 101701 times
:awesome: in Lua we Löve
:awesome: Platformer Guide
:awesome: freebies
dusoft
Party member

Post by dusoft »

slime wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:33 pm LÖVE version 11.5 is out now! As usual download links are on the homepage and the full changelog is available on the wiki.

(snip...)
Thank you!